Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
You sound smart, Kenneth.

Really, really smart.
Fixed it for ya.

Look, I just don't want this guy to go spend the bucks a CVO Softail will cost thinking he's going to ride it around the country. Its the wrong bike for that. I have a friend who did a coast to coast trip on a Heritage Softail and he was absolutely miserable on it. He sold it as soon as he got back and bought a FLHTCUI.

Last edited by The Spaceman; 09-06-2011 at 06:54 AM..
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

+1 on the SofTail being a lousy suspension system for LD riding.

Like SpaceDude says, if you want to do long distance and like the Harleys, get a Roadking or a Dresser (FLH).

Or, other than the HD choices, the Concours, Goldwing, several of the BMWs...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
OK. I'm certainly not a Harley expert.

That second one looks a LOT like my Honda.

It also looks like they forgot to buff-out the paint after colour-sanding.

Jeebus, is anyone as sick of the "flat-black, flat-red, flat-gold, flat-whatever-the-fluck" bullshyte as I?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post

Jeebus, is anyone as sick of the "flat-black, flat-red, flat-gold, flat-whatever-the-fluck" bullshyte as I?
Yup. The local BMW dealer has an $80,000 M Edition 3 series with flat black paint. Its covered with stickers saying "DO NOT WAX" etc. It looks like a kid rattle-canned it with primer.

People who bought the early Harleys with that finish are having fits with it. It gets glossy in spots after a while and really looks like crap.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
+1 on the SofTail being a lousy suspension system for LD riding.

Like SpaceDude says, if you want to do long distance and like the Harleys, get a Roadking or a Dresser (FLH).

Or, other than the HD choices, the Concours, Goldwing, several of the BMWs...
Well he said he wanted to do long distance but liked his "choppers."

That softail. is about as benign as a chopper gets. I could knock out some serious mileage on it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Fixed it for ya.

Look, I just don't want this guy to go spend the bucks a CVO Softail will cost thinking he's going to ride it around the country. Its the wrong bike for that. I have a friend who did a coast to coast trip on a Heritage Softail and he was absolutely miserable on it. He sold it as soon as he got back and bought a FLHTCUI.
I agree. The last trip I did on my 86 Heritage was 9000 miles in 27 days with a couple of 700 mile days thrown in. While I wasn't miserable the trip definately convinced me get something different. I got my RoadGlide soon after that. If you want an HD for long trips, FLs are the way to go.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post

You could say that.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
Easy Rider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
I agree. The last trip I did on my 86 Heritage was 9000 miles in 27 days with a couple of 700 mile days thrown in.
So, for me the answer is: It depends mostly on what KIND of touring you plan to do. If it's something like the above, you need a big "easy chair" type of bike OR the stamina of a young athlete and a tough ass.

For me, I have neither and can't do more than about 400 miles or 7 hours a day. I've done that a few times on a 250 and it was bearable.
It's a piece of cake on my Shadow.......but that's taking US routes with virtually NO traffic, not breaking the speed limit and taking a short stretch every hour or so.

I travel on 2 wheels for the sheer enjoyment of the ride, not to pound out the miles.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
So, for me the answer is: It depends mostly on what KIND of touring you plan to do. If it's something like the above, you need a big "easy chair" type of bike OR the stamina of a young athlete and a tough ass.

For me, I have neither and can't do more than about 400 miles or 7 hours a day. I've done that a few times on a 250 and it was bearable.
It's a piece of cake on my Shadow.......but that's taking US routes with virtually NO traffic, not breaking the speed limit and taking a short stretch every hour or so.

I travel on 2 wheels for the sheer enjoyment of the ride, not to pound out the miles.
I'm guessing a Shadow 600 isn't going to break too many speed limits unless it's a school zone.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Yup. The local BMW dealer has an $80,000 M Edition 3 series with flat black paint. Its covered with stickers saying "DO NOT WAX" etc. It looks like a kid rattle-canned it with primer.

People who bought the early Harleys with that finish are having fits with it. It gets glossy in spots after a while and really looks like crap.
I'll fix them up for only $500 each. (With flat black Rustoleum from Home Depot,)

To think that we used to do our bikes like that for under $10.