Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #21
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
You see, Bardahl's Motor Honey is specially formulated
It's good for hemoroids too.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
racefan
Registered Member

well i went through the lifters again just to double check them and i come to find out that its the cam chain tensioner. its adjustable buy just tightening a nut but its as tight as it will go, does any one know how hard it is to change it on this bike....thanks
racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #23
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
well i went through the lifters again just to double check them and i come to find out that its the cam chain tensioner. its adjustable buy just tightening a nut but its as tight as it will go, does any one know how hard it is to change it on this bike....thanks
If you can locate a factory manual, it's do-able. Without that, you won't where to set the cams in relation to the gears, and you'll bend valve stems.

Is it really that bad? Is the chain slapping the cases or is it loose enough to jump a tooth?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Not to be mean, but the old Honda 400 twin in it's various iterations was a bargain basement bike and not the best Honda quality. It was designed to give 50 or 60 thousand miles of reliable service and then be discarded. Your problem is that the chain is stretched out. It will need a new chain which means a complete dismantling of the engine, since the cam chain runs between the cylinders. You can do it with a manual if you have the tools and have some aptitude for that kind of work. I'm not sure how many special tools you will need. If you decide to do it you need to check out the parts availability first. The may be no more chains or tensioners or other critical left after all these years.

I'd just ride it until it fails which, if that noise is the chain knocking against the engine case, won't be long.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #25
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
its adjustable buy just tightening a nut but its as tight as it will go, does any one know how hard it is to change it on this bike....thanks
Most are NOT adjustable by "just tightening a nut".

On some, you actually loosen a bolt to allow the spring inside to take up additional tension and then snug the bolt, and lock nut, back down again.

Be sure you have the right proceedure before you move on to the next step.

P.S. What makes you so sure that is what is causing the noise ?
Just because somebody on the Internet suggested it ??
A loose cam chain usually has a pretty distinctive noise.......for anyone with experience who is actually THERE to hear it.