Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
Nova was a liquid cooled V4 developed in conjunction with Porche. Once the company was reaquired from AMF they had a huge decision to make, go with the brand new motor and in a new direction or go with the Evolution. I'd say they made the right decision.
Motorcycle Specs
The Evo was a good move; they had a waiting line to buy bikes for what, 15 years? But now what? The conventional wisdom is that their market is old fcks who are dying off. Buell looked like a good idea to bring in younger riders, but once they hit a bump in the road, they dumped it like a hot potato.

If you're right about EPA standards vs. air-cooled, and I think you are, we may see the Nova or a "V-Rod Bagger" soon. Even if the EPA didn't exist, 65-70 hp gets old after a while.

Last edited by The Spaceman : 08-30-2011 at 08:10 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Here's an excellent article on the Nova project:

Nova The V-4 Harley you never saw!

...mapping out a 10-year product plan for Harley-Davidson motorcycles. There it was decided that due to the proliferation at the time of high-tech motorcycles from other countries, and their wide acceptance by American motorcyclists, a redesign of the current 74 (1,200cc) shovelhead engine would be insufficient to guarantee the company's long-term growth. So planners proposed a two-pronged strategy to ensuring Harley's future.

First, because of the established product line's loyal following, they set into motion an advanced V-twin project with the goal of updating the shovelhead Big Twin and Ironhead Sportster. The eventual result was the Evolution engine.

At the same time, an all-new machine with advanced technology would be developed to appeal to riders who wanted more contemporary performance.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
The Evo was a good move; they had a waiting line to buy bikes for what, 15 years? But now what? The conventional wisdom is that their market is old fcks who are dying off. Buell looked like a good idea to bring in younger riders, but once they hit a bump in the road, they dumped it like a hot potato.

If you're right about EPA standards vs. air-cooled, and I think you are, we may see the Nova or a "V-Rod Bagger" soon. Even if the EPA didn't exist, 65-70 hp gets old after a while.
A company, CycleVisions, does offer some mods to turn a V Rod into a bagger. Some of the them look pretty good.

CycleVisions - Designs in Motion
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Nova was a liquid cooled V4 developed in conjunction with Porche. Once the company was reaquired from AMF they had a huge decision to make, go with the brand new motor and in a new direction or go with the Evolution. I'd say they made the right decision.
Motorcycle Specs
Where the heck was the radiator?

Under the seat?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Where the heck was the radiator?

Under the seat?
If I remember correctly it was where the tank usually is which is why it had the huge air scoops. Gas was located unde the seat.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

A note about the younger market:

Sportbike sales are in the tank. All that younger generation stuff was scooped up by H-D.

The Dark line is selling way more than 600cc sport bikes right now.

Those guys will get old too.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
If I remember correctly it was where the tank usually is which is why it had the huge air scoops. Gas was located unde the seat.
Close.

The radiator was under the seat! Scoops on the side of the bike forced air into a plenum on top of the radiator, and fans underneath drew it out. The gas was in those large side panels you can see in the photos.

It's said that this design gave a low cg and mass centralization, while retaining a clean, no-radiator engine bay. Apparently Willie G. thinks radiators have no place on any motorcycle.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:

Sportbike sales are in the tank. All that younger generation stuff was scooped up by H-D.

Your perspective may be skewed:
Harley-Davidson is the market leader among African-American men and women 35+ in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Close.

The radiator was under the seat! Scoops on the side of the bike forced air into a plenum on top of the radiator, and fans underneath drew it out. The gas was in those large side panels you can see in the photos.

It's said that this design gave a low cg and mass centralization, while retaining a clean, no-radiator engine bay. Apparently Willie G. thinks radiators have no place on any motorcycle.
Thats a lot jammed under the seat. Makes you wonder how well it worked.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default All Arounder or Touring

Quote:

Purpose built bikes seem to be the natural progression but most of the young riders I have talked to are gravitating to the all around standard or Sport Touring type bikes. It is hard to get a clear picture without real TAM and demographic data. It's all interesting stuff. Most of my riding buddies all have Road Kings. My own experience for the most part doesn't seem to reflect what the real market data is saying. The dynamics of this market have a lot to tell. I would love to see some real world data from some of the big players.