Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
Nova was a liquid cooled V4 developed in conjunction with Porche. Once the company was reaquired from AMF they had a huge decision to make, go with the brand new motor and in a new direction or go with the Evolution. I'd say they made the right decision.
Motorcycle Specs
The Evo was a good move; they had a waiting line to buy bikes for what, 15 years? But now what? The conventional wisdom is that their market is old fcks who are dying off. Buell looked like a good idea to bring in younger riders, but once they hit a bump in the road, they dumped it like a hot potato.

If you're right about EPA standards vs. air-cooled, and I think you are, we may see the Nova or a "V-Rod Bagger" soon. Even if the EPA didn't exist, 65-70 hp gets old after a while.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."

Last edited by The Spaceman : 08-30-2011 at 08:10 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Here's an excellent article on the Nova project:

Nova The V-4 Harley you never saw!

...mapping out a 10-year product plan for Harley-Davidson motorcycles. There it was decided that due to the proliferation at the time of high-tech motorcycles from other countries, and their wide acceptance by American motorcyclists, a redesign of the current 74 (1,200cc) shovelhead engine would be insufficient to guarantee the company's long-term growth. So planners proposed a two-pronged strategy to ensuring Harley's future.

First, because of the established product line's loyal following, they set into motion an advanced V-twin project with the goal of updating the shovelhead Big Twin and Ironhead Sportster. The eventual result was the Evolution engine.

At the same time, an all-new machine with advanced technology would be developed to appeal to riders who wanted more contemporary performance.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
V2Rider
Premium Member

 
V2Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: LA - Lower Alabama
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
The Evo was a good move; they had a waiting line to buy bikes for what, 15 years? But now what? The conventional wisdom is that their market is old fcks who are dying off. Buell looked like a good idea to bring in younger riders, but once they hit a bump in the road, they dumped it like a hot potato.

If you're right about EPA standards vs. air-cooled, and I think you are, we may see the Nova or a "V-Rod Bagger" soon. Even if the EPA didn't exist, 65-70 hp gets old after a while.
A company, CycleVisions, does offer some mods to turn a V Rod into a bagger. Some of the them look pretty good.

CycleVisions - Designs in Motion
__________________
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' - Ronald Reagan
V2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
Nova was a liquid cooled V4 developed in conjunction with Porche. Once the company was reaquired from AMF they had a huge decision to make, go with the brand new motor and in a new direction or go with the Evolution. I'd say they made the right decision.
Motorcycle Specs
Where the heck was the radiator?

Under the seat?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
V2Rider
Premium Member

 
V2Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: LA - Lower Alabama
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Where the heck was the radiator?

Under the seat?
If I remember correctly it was where the tank usually is which is why it had the huge air scoops. Gas was located unde the seat.
__________________
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' - Ronald Reagan
V2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

A note about the younger market:

Sportbike sales are in the tank. All that younger generation stuff was scooped up by H-D.

The Dark line is selling way more than 600cc sport bikes right now.

Those guys will get old too.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
If I remember correctly it was where the tank usually is which is why it had the huge air scoops. Gas was located unde the seat.
Close.

The radiator was under the seat! Scoops on the side of the bike forced air into a plenum on top of the radiator, and fans underneath drew it out. The gas was in those large side panels you can see in the photos.

It's said that this design gave a low cg and mass centralization, while retaining a clean, no-radiator engine bay. Apparently Willie G. thinks radiators have no place on any motorcycle.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
A note about the younger market:

Sportbike sales are in the tank. All that younger generation stuff was scooped up by H-D.

The Dark line is selling way more than 600cc sport bikes right now.

Those guys will get old too.
Your perspective may be skewed:
Harley-Davidson is the market leader among African-American men and women 35+ in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
V2Rider
Premium Member

 
V2Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: LA - Lower Alabama
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Close.

The radiator was under the seat! Scoops on the side of the bike forced air into a plenum on top of the radiator, and fans underneath drew it out. The gas was in those large side panels you can see in the photos.

It's said that this design gave a low cg and mass centralization, while retaining a clean, no-radiator engine bay. Apparently Willie G. thinks radiators have no place on any motorcycle.
Thats a lot jammed under the seat. Makes you wonder how well it worked.
__________________
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' - Ronald Reagan
V2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
jmdonald
Founding Member
 
jmdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,291
Default All Arounder or Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
A note about the younger market:

Sportbike sales are in the tank. All that younger generation stuff was scooped up by H-D.

The Dark line is selling way more than 600cc sport bikes right now.

Those guys will get old too.
Purpose built bikes seem to be the natural progression but most of the young riders I have talked to are gravitating to the all around standard or Sport Touring type bikes. It is hard to get a clear picture without real TAM and demographic data. It's all interesting stuff. Most of my riding buddies all have Road Kings. My own experience for the most part doesn't seem to reflect what the real market data is saying. The dynamics of this market have a lot to tell. I would love to see some real world data from some of the big players.
__________________
Secede.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off