Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #31
tbrown
Founding Member

As to the name "Norge"...Isn't that the same name as home appliances from the 50's? That name also rhymed with "Gorge".

The biggest problem with this bike, as I see it, is that it's got no electronic cruise. Once you've had this, you really don't want to buy a bagger without it. Great not only for long interstate travel, but for speed traps and for times when you need to use your right hand for something other than holding the throttle. I know a throttle lock will do some of this, but it's not as good..Trust me.

The windscreen buttons would be a non-issue with cruise. As it is, you just wait until you can stop or coast to adjust...or buy a throttle lock.

I wonder if parking lot turns cause these buttons to be activated by a tank bag like my R1200RT?

Guzzis are cute, but I don't think I'd own one. Difficult to service and not many dealers. At least this bike makes more sense than the racerboy Guzzis, which are uncomfortable, not fast, and have no storage. If they had hydraulic lifters, only clutch service would be problematic.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #32
tbrown
Founding Member

Default Transverse vs Longitudinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Yes. There's technically and there's conventionally. Technically, he may be correct, but conventionally... he's off the mark. Guzzis have long been referred to as transversely mounted, as they defy convention. Similarly to the expression RPMs. There is no such thing as RPMs. Technically, it's "RsPM". Conventionally, it's "RPMs".

Let's see his technical butt go into a Friday night showdown sputtering about his longitudinally mounted engine that hits high RsPM and see what happens.
4 cylinder sportbikes are transverse. Ducati V-twins are transverse. Just about any motorcycle with a chain is transverse. Small 4 cylinder cars and many V6 cars are transverse, although there are notable exceptions. The transverse engine's crankshaft turns perpendicular to the centerline of the vehicle.

Guzzi, BMW twins, BMW "flying brick" 4 cylinders, standard detroit V-8s are longitudinal.

On a bike, especially the Guzzi and BMW twins, if you rev them at a stoplight, they will pull to one side. A transverse motor won't do that.

There are good advantages to longitudinal for feel and turning and I prefer longitudinal layouts in cars and in bikes, but that's just me.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #33
macmanjim
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roderick View Post
It's not a cheap political dig, Steve. The sentence is not derogatory to the Tea Party and does not imply any political agenda. It's simply an observation used to highlight an aspect of the Norge review.
It's also an incorrect one. There are black tea party people and there even may be one's that are atheist. It's not quite the social conservative monolith that some might want to believe.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #34
sliphorn
Registered Member

tbrown, you're the first person I've ever heard call a Guzzi cute. Cute? Are you kidding me! And what exactly is so hard about servicing them?
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #35
nh944ss

I have one, yep the tank bag does adjust the windshield when maneuvering in the parking lot. No problems on the road though!

Also the protective strip on the bags, it's mostly a decoration. Bags got pretty scratched up in parking lot tip over. Trip to the dealer reveals that he only replacement part is an entire bag for a fee of about $500!

In praise though, the little metal name plate did protect the front fairing and was only a $30 replacement.

The clutch lever tip break away worked so no damage there except for the lever. What does a Guzzi clutch lever cost? $130. Seriously!

I love this bike but parts prices are shocking to say the least.

Last edited by nh944ss : 04-28-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: annotation
nh944ss is offline   Reply With Quote