Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #21
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Yes. There's technically and there's conventionally. Technically, he may be correct, but conventionally... he's off the mark.
Don't even get me started on single-action, double-action, and double-action-only handguns.

Quote:
Maybe they hired the engineer who who used to run the BMW TurninmitgaSignalin lab.
Or Harley's Because We've Always Done It That Way Random Switch Placement division. After a month, I'm still giving somnambulant drivers a furious blast of left turn signal. I may learn it someday, but there's no getting around a high-beam switch that you have to reach over the horn to get to. And putting a right-turn signal switch on the same hand as the brake and throttle, one inch from the kill switch, is patent insanity.

As far as the Norge goes, Guzzis have a weird appeal but still always fall short for me. Maybe they'll get me with the next bike in the series. The Sverige? The Suomi?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.

Last edited by schizuki : 08-26-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: To avoid the wrath of pedantic Finns
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #22
Tom Roderick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerwin View Post
The engine of Guzzi's V2 is never transversely mounted, but always longitudinaly. Get it right guys, or don't mention it at all. Thank you.
Technically, Gerwin is correct. Thanks for pointing out our error, it will be corrected. No one's perfect. Anyone remember Cycle World misspelling Super Blackbird (or something like that) on its cover so many years ago?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
Tom Roderick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steve View Post
Wow, why drop a cheap political dig in a motorcycle review?
It's not a cheap political dig, Steve. The sentence is not derogatory to the Tea Party and does not imply any political agenda. It's simply an observation used to highlight an aspect of the Norge review.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roderick View Post
It's not a cheap political dig, Steve. The sentence is not derogatory to the Tea Party and does not imply any political agenda. It's simply an observation used to highlight an aspect of the Norge review.
I wonder if the young, black Tea Party guy who got beat down by SEIU thugs agrees?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #25
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
OK, I get it now. A young, black atheist would be out of place because a Tea Party rally is full of old/middle-aged, white Christians.

So it's not derogatory. It's just a counter-factual metaphor.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #26
Gerwin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Please explain. I know what transversely mounted means (to me). Do you? Besides, you can't even spell "Gershwin" right. Harumph!
In engine design, transversely and longitudinaly mean the direction of the crankshaft, not if pistons. Hence Guzzis have their engines longitudinaly mounted, or they must some really innovative flexible connection rods.
Besides, Gershwin couldn't spell my name right, which is a perfect explanation for why he wrote such crappy music.
Gerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #27
Gerwin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Yes. There's technically and there's conventionally. Technically, he may be correct, but conventionally... he's off the mark. Guzzis have long been referred to as transversely mounted, as they defy convention. Similarly to the expression RPMs. There is no such thing as RPMs. Technically, it's "RsPM". Conventionally, it's "RPMs".

Let's see his technical butt go into a Friday night showdown sputtering about his longitudinally mounted engine that hits high RsPM and see what happens.
There's no such thing as "conventionally right". It's just wrong. And no matter how many times it's been referred to as such, it's still wrong.
Besides: defying convention is not a really good definition of a transversely mounted engine.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #28
Gerwin
Registered Member

Quote:
Technically, Gerwin is correct. Thanks for pointing out our error, it will be corrected. No one's perfect. Anyone remember Cycle World misspelling Super Blackbird (or something like that) on its cover so many years ago?
Thanks guys! I don't remember the misspelling of Super Blackbird, but I do remember a magazine from 1998 wishing us a happy "ninety ninety nine". On the front page
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #29
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member

Guzzis are for people that like to ride as opposed to bench racing spec sheets....
Visceral indeed....
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #30
macmanjim
Founding Member

A better comparison would be the R1200RT, not the GS or the KGT. Just make sure to put premium in it.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote