Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
big jimborini
Registered Member

Default Can a Canadian buy a bike in US?

I want to buy a bike in the US for riding in the southern US/Mexico when it's too cold to ride here.

Buying is easy but how can I register it in US - I don't want to have to bring it back to Canada to register it. I am not a US resident.

Has anyone done this?
big jimborini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Do you know someone, or have family in the US? It seems to me that the easiest thing to do is to have someone in the US register it, insure it, and then add you to the insurance policy as an additional rider.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Do you know someone, or have family in the US?
This has been discussed extensively recently......maybe in another fourm.....and what you propose is NOT a good way to go.

The vehicle needs to be registered AND insured in the name of the real owner and operator......but the address can be a "friends" house or maybe even a mail forwarding service.

For the OP: If you do work this out, where will you leave the bike when you are not riding it ?? If you are going to take it home with you, why NOT register it there ???
Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
The vehicle needs to be registered AND insured in the name of the real owner and operator......but the address can be a "friends" house or maybe even a mail forwarding service.
Not true. When I got my gf into riding, I talked to my insurance company and explained that she lived somewhere else and that I wanted her to be able to ride my bike on my policy, and they had no problem adding her as an additional rider.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Not true.
Well, you can ASSume anything that you want but my experience tells me that if you approached the same company again and told them that you wanted to do that for a friend who is visiting from Canada for an extended period of time, the answer would be quite different.

AND.....regardless of the details, YOU would be taking on a HUGE potential liability risk. Law suits are NOT limited to the amount of insurance that you carry.

If there was a problem and the insurance company got wind of the fact that the "friend" bought and paid for the bike.........that might be considered fraud and your coverage would be VOID.

You don't have to believe me, though. If you are actually involved in a situation like what started this thread, it would be HIGHLY recommended to consult an attorney.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

We should ask Kirk / Acecycleins. He'll know the answer because he's a professional.

HEY KIRK! CAN A CANUCK COME DOWN HERE AND BUY A BIKE AND INSURE IT? HUH?

I don't think he can hear me....