Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #31
jmdonald
Founding Member
 
jmdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,291
Default Shorai Batteries

Aside from the more than Stellar bike choices the Shorai battery reference has my interest peaked. It will be on my short list next time around.
__________________
Secede.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #32
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,643
Default

jmcdonald, there are several guys on triumphrat.net that have gone to the Shorai.

You'll find lots of guys (on various boards) trying to get that 'performance increase' from the lighter battery.

I'm just trying to miss a meal or two, to get the same effect.

It ain't working...
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
jmcdonald, there are several guys on triumphrat.net that have gone to the Shorai.

You'll find lots of guys (on various boards) trying to get that 'performance increase' from the lighter battery.

I'm just trying to miss a meal or two, to get the same effect.

It ain't working...
Heh. What's it save? 4 oz?
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #34
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Heh. What's it save? 4 oz?
7 lbs. lighter according to their spec for my bike. 2.7 lbs versus 10. That's a few burritos.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
7 lbs. lighter according to their spec for my bike. 2.7 lbs versus 10. That's a few burritos.
Or one could eat fewer burritos.

I doubt that more than two people who buy these batteries will realize the slightest measurable difference.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #36
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Or one could eat fewer burritos.

I doubt that more than two people who buy these batteries will realize the slightest measurable difference.

I doubt even two of them will. On a 500 + lb bike it's the equivalent of a can of pop and a cheese sandwich in your tank bag.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #37
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,643
Default

The LiFePO4 (if that's all the right letters in the proper order) technology is pretty interesting, to be sure.

One aspect that I find curious is that when it's cold, you need to put a load on the battery ( like headlamps) to 'wake it up'.

But I don't see the need to spend all that money when I have other better things to spend it on.
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #38
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I doubt even two of them will. On a 500 + lb bike it's the equivalent of a can of pop and a cheese sandwich in your tank bag.
Its lighter weight is just a side benefit to this technology. It's claimed to last longer, turn an engine faster, require less maintenance while sitting unused, and has a longer warranty.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #39
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
The LiFePO4 (if that's all the right letters in the proper order) technology is pretty interesting, to be sure.

One aspect that I find curious is that when it's cold, you need to put a load on the battery ( like headlamps) to 'wake it up'.

But I don't see the need to spend all that money when I have other better things to spend it on.
"The Car Guys" on NPR had to issue a retraction/apology to a caller a few weeks ago. Someone had called in and said that if you're in a very cold climate, you can "warm" the battery before starting by turning on the lights. They said it was bullsht, and got flooded with calls from Alaska and MN stating it was NOT BS, and a very common practice in cold climates.

As for the cost: I made the mistake of having the dealer put in a Suzuki-labeled Yashua last Fall. I could have bought one of these fanch-schmancy batteries and had change left over.
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #40
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,643
Default

You had a Dealer put in a battery!?

Man, I bet you made their day!
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off