Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   What kind of bike for commuting? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19150-what-kind-bike-for-commuting.html)

sarnali2 09-08-2011 09:33 AM

once the engine is up to speed the actual "strain" on it is pretty minimal no matter what the rpm. It's the acceleration to cruising speed that more stressful but even that isn't the right word. An engine with a redline of 14k is going to be quite happy running at 9, 10 or even 13k, even if it sounds like a dental drill at that point.

The stated redline is going to be way below the point of engine damage so any rpm below that isn't going to hurt anything as long as the oil pressure is adequate at that speed and the temperature is correct. Excess heat and dirty or incorrect oil viscosity or pressure will kill an engine, high rpm within the design parameters will not.

Easy Rider 2 09-08-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 266258)
Because the engine is probably "lugging" at 5k,

Like I said, warped logic.

I used to have a 600cc bike that redlined at 14K.
It was purring like a kitten at 5.

Easy Rider 2 09-08-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 266262)
once the engine is up to speed the actual "strain" on it is pretty minimal no matter what the rpm.

high rpm within the design parameters will not.

Sure. And that's why race engines often blow up when they are at idle.........NOT.

I give up.
I get the feeling that we are in a "don't confuse me with facts" loop.

sarnali2 09-08-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 266265)
Sure. And that's why race engines often blow up when they are at idle.........NOT.

I give up.

There's a pretty significant difference between a purpose built ultra high performance race engine design to wring every last bit of performance and a run of the mill production street engine designed to give thousands of miles of reliable operation.

Squid Killer 09-08-2011 01:31 PM

I can say I use several of my bikes in the higher RPM range most of the time. I'm on the highway and the race track often and most of my bikes have 40,000 to 60,000 miles each. Not one has ever broken in 30 years. The engine is about the last thing I need to doubt.

pushrod 09-08-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid Killer (Post 266269)
I can say I use several of my bikes in the higher RPM range most of the time. I'm on the highway and the race track often and most of my bikes have 40,000 to 60,000 miles each. Not one has ever broken in 30 years. The engine is about the last thing I need to doubt.

Hear, hear!

I think the limiting factor of today's bikes when discussing distance rides is...

seat foam!

(Assuming all proper maintenance is performed on the bike's mechanicals.)

Squid Killer 09-08-2011 03:33 PM

Every weekend my students ask me how long a motorcycle will last. I tell them "Until you get sick of it".

newagetwotone 09-08-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 266265)

I give up.

No offense... no, scratch that, offense is completely meant.

After reading your posts i have a feeling you know exactly zip about how engines work and just assume facts you read somewhere on the internet.

Also, pushing race engines too and over the redline constantly for large amounts of time is totally the same as running a 14-16k redline engine at 9krpm...

The_AirHawk 09-08-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid Killer (Post 266277)
Every weekend my students ask me how long a motorcycle will last. I tell them "Until you get sick of it".

Good Answer.

Far, far, FAR more motos have died from Neglect than Crashes, and an equal ratio from Crashes than "Blown" or worn-out engines.

As you said above - so long as you maintain it at regular intervals (that's a whole different debate) - the engine is absolutely the LAST thing I would worry about.

Easy Rider 2 09-08-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 266282)
After reading your posts i have a feeling you know exactly zip about how engines work and just assume facts you read somewhere on the internet.

Well then you'd better check your "feelings" detector because it is badly broken.

With proper engineering, an engine can run at 80% redline for a long time, no doubt. But it is also true that it is under about twice the stress than if it was running at 40%. And you can't engineer out wear and the more revolutions it makes, the more wear there will be.

Simple physics and your feelings can't change that.