Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS1100GK View Post
Although, it wouldn't have been an apples to apples test between these two bikes I wonder how the handling comparison would have stacked up between the two bikes with those tires mounted on the C-14? Just food for thought...
In the interest of full investigation, I'll be riding our C14 on a 190/55 Pirelli this afternoon. Stay tuned.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Jeezus, Kids these days... BMW and Kawasaki have been going at it since '86, not '96 with the original K100RT/ Concours match-up...

If Triumph ever gets their act together with the rumored Trophy then that's another one to consider but for now I'd take the Connie and be happy without all the gee-whizz electronics on the BMW. I just can't see the Beemer being $10k "better"....
Yes, the Connie has been around since '86, but the WWW wasn't.

The GT's base price is $5000 more expensive. If you rode the bikes back to back, you might also think it's worth the extra dough.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post

The GT's base price is $5000 more expensive. If you rode the bikes back to back, you might also think it's worth the extra dough.
It's difficult to find a base price GT, around here anyway. The ones I've seen are optioned up and with T & L are an easy $23K. I don't doubt or dispute that the Beemer's a "better" bike and I'd be happy to have one, however with the discounts available on previous year Connies it'd be a hard decision to justify.

An analogy would be with a good wine or whisky, at first sip you'd certainly taste the difference over a cheaper but still fine quality drink. Halfway through the bottle however you wouldn't notice or even care.

During a test being able to ride each bike then I agree, you may say the BMW is clearly better, however after owning and riding the Connie for a few thousand miles you would no doubt think "what a fine bike" and each month congratulate yourself on a sound financial decision as you wrote out the payment. My own opinion of course..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:

I've got to agree with the Duke here. BMW is playing in a different market.

The Connie is a great bike and it seems like a bargain at the price but the Beamer is playing in the Premium market. It's what BMW's owner's want.

It's where the profit is for the company and BMW has a lower priced line of bikes as well.

For years the "experts" have been railing at Apple to get into the entry level phone/computer market.

Apple refuses and is worth a trillion bucks. Dell ain't worth a broke dyck.

Harley sells more CVOs than Victory sells motorcycles.

Is this starting to make sense yet?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
bbtowns
Founding Member

As a few others have commented, not only is there a huge price difference, but Kawasaki dealers tend to discount from list whereas BMW dealers add to it or maintain it at best. A new Concours can be had for about $12-13K fully equiped, when I went to look at the K1600GT at my local dealer they had one in stock they wanted $25K for. That's more like a $12-13K difference, or 1/2 the price.
The other thing I thought was interesting is that the 0-62 mph times I've seen for the Concours are about .4 seconds faster than the K1600GT, I suppose that's due to the top end.
I like the GT, but unless it's 5 years used I'll take the Concours, put 3K into farkles I want, and bank the 10K remaining.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
As a few others have commented, not only is there a huge price difference, but Kawasaki dealers tend to discount from list whereas BMW dealers add to it or maintain it at best. A new Concours can be had for about $12-13K fully equiped, when I went to look at the K1600GT at my local dealer they had one in stock they wanted $25K for. That's more like a $12-13K difference, or 1/2 the price.
The other thing I thought was interesting is that the 0-62 mph times I've seen for the Concours are about .4 seconds faster than the K1600GT, I suppose that's due to the top end.
I like the GT, but unless it's 5 years used I'll take the Concours, put 3K into farkles I want, and bank the 10K remaining.
BMW will discount - next year.

Both dealers in San Diego have a waiting list and I wouldn't discount either.

In 2012 we'll still be in this economy and everything will be on sale.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Smile

Quote:
In the interest of full investigation, I'll be riding our C14 on a 190/55 Pirelli this afternoon. Stay tuned.
Kevin, I am anxious to here how it feels for you with the upsized 55 series. Still, I'm running the stock size 190/50 Z8 Metzler on my C-14 and the bike does feel lighter with no issues holding a line through the turns At this point in time, I am attributing the handling difference to the tire compound and tread that the Metzler Z8 is made of.

Let me know what you think after your ride!
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Hmmmm. Where's all the outrage for BMW doing exactly what Harley did when they had the opportunity? Remember all the threats ans complaints for HD's gouging? Now it's perfectly acceptable.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Hmmmm. Where's all the outrage for BMW doing exactly what Harley did when they had the opportunity? Remember all the threats ans complaints for HD's gouging? Now it's perfectly acceptable.
Extra chrome is gouging.

Extra cylinders isn't.

I'm sure Honda is wondering why everyone is making such a big deal over a 6 cylinder motorcycle. Of course, the Wing doesn't sound like the K1600.

BTW, BMW's marketing team blew it. The bike should be simply called the K6. Much cooler and would look good on the side of the fairing and emphasis the engine.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
...however after owning and riding the Connie for a few thousand miles you would no doubt think "what a fine bike" and each month congratulate yourself on a sound financial decision as you wrote out the payment. My own opinion of course..
Bike payment? I will never have a bike payment. That being the case, the only one of these two I'd be able to pony up cash against is the Connie 14, for sure. That, and the fact that the nearest BMW dealer is about three hours away and the nearest Kawi dealer is 45 minutes away. It's all about logistics!