Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Victory Cross Country Tour Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19114-2012-victory-cross-country-tour-review.html)

Administrator 08-11-2011 04:20 PM

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour Review

Original Article:
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 08-11-2011 09:54 PM

A little less swoop and it looks 100x better than the Vision.

Buzglyd 08-12-2011 08:11 AM

Yeah I think is the official dump the Ness styling and go back to copying Harley model.

rvfrules 08-16-2011 02:16 AM

The bags still look too Jetsonesque, just a little more Harley copying and and they're there!

The Spaceman 08-16-2011 06:48 AM

I recall reading that Ness vehemently denied having anything to do with the Vision styling. I'm sure of it.

Auphliam 08-16-2011 12:50 PM

First off, the Nesses never designed a single bike for Victory. They design paint schemes and develop accessories.

So, let me get this straight...if its Japanese or German it gets knowledgeable, well thought out responses about performance and value. If its American made by anybody but Harley, you call it names and pan it for being a copycat.

I understand the constant comparisons to HD, especially with the CCT, and who can argue that the Highball is nothing more than a marketing ripoff? But I thinks its a little unfair how much crap they do get. Nearly every review, and accompanying reader comments if they're allowed, hang Vic over a barrel for "trying to be like Mike".

Until somebody makes a bagger that hovers and runs on solar power, every touring bike on the road is copying either the UC or the Wing. Period end of discussion.

How long are we going to keep beating Vic up for trying to make something people might actually enjoy and buy?

I can see how the comparisons will come, but I think we should be careful not to be too critical. They're making good bikes. I still would like to see them use more of the Mothership's vast resources, and stray outside the feet forward genre, but I'm not gonna bash them for doing what every other motorcycle manufacturer in the world is doing.

seruzawa 08-16-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auphliam (Post 264900)
First off, the Nesses never designed a single bike for Victory. They design paint schemes and develop accessories.

So, let me get this straight...if its Japanese or German it gets knowledgeable, well thought out responses about performance and value. If its American made by anybody but Harley, you call it names and pan it for being a copycat.

I understand the constant comparisons to HD, especially with the CCT, and who can argue that the Highball is nothing more than a marketing ripoff? But I thinks its a little unfair how much crap they do get. Nearly every review, and accompanying reader comments if they're allowed, hang Vic over a barrel for "trying to be like Mike".

Until somebody makes a bagger that hovers and runs on solar power, every touring bike on the road is copying either the UC or the Wing. Period end of discussion.

How long are we going to keep beating Vic up for trying to make something people might actually enjoy and buy?

I can see how the comparisons will come, but I think we should be careful not to be too critical. They're making good bikes. I still would like to see them use more of the Mothership's vast resources, and stray outside the feet forward genre, but I'm not gonna bash them for doing what every other motorcycle manufacturer in the world is doing.

Who's "beating up" Victory? I'd buy one before I bought a Harley if I were in the market for a big twin. A friend has a Vegas and the engine at least is a far better power plant than any of Harley's air cooled twins. I've just never cared for the swoopy styling of some of the models. And they ARE reminiscent of Ness's customs whether he likes it or not.

sarnali2 08-16-2011 04:33 PM

I like them just fine, I think the Vision is pretty cool too. I'd buy one before I bought a cookie cutter Japanese cruiser.

I'm kinda' past Vtwins though, I think if I bought another cruiser style bike it would be a Rocket 3 or more likely a Speedmaster

The Spaceman 08-17-2011 06:54 AM

And the Ultra Classic and Gold Wing copied from Moto Guzzi, BMW, Indian, Excelsior Henderson...etc. There is not one feature on either of those two bikes that didn't appear on other bikes before them.

Auphliam 08-17-2011 08:48 AM

Sorry if I seemed a little riled up in my comments. I had just spent the better part of that morning reading several reviews of the new CCT (and corresponding comments). After reading comments like "I don't think Victory ever sold a bike" or "they should fire Arlen Ness" or "Harley wannabe" ad nauseam, it starts to get on one's nerves.