Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyKnight View Post
And let's just forget that HD hasn't been bought and resold a handfull of times over the last century.
Oh please.

I guess every Victory/Indian comes with a big jug of Koolaid.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
And let's just forget that HD hasn't been bought and resold a handfull of times over the last century.
I'd say twice, once by AMF who saved their ass's and without whom they'd have expired like Indian, and once by Vaughn Beals and company who's leadership turned them into the powerhouse they are today. However they, like Triumph have been in continuous production, unlike Indian who were dead and buried only to be resurrected as fat fendered copies of their biggest competitor a half a dozen times.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #23
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
" How many more ways can you say it? They flippin' expired!
Cue the 'Dead Parrot' skit...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Anyone bringing up the Indian name should be neutered to keep them from breeding, Anyone actually believing that Indian will ever be a viable corporation producing real world motorcycles should be lobotomized.

They folded in 1953, they're gone. dead. gestorban. en mortu est. c'est mort. muerto. inanimato....

How many more ways can you say it? They flippin' expired!
I heard some clowns claiming that Indian is the oldest motorcycle company in the world. Pretty funny since the company disappeared in 1953 and the new bikes named Indian bear no relation to tho old ones. but if they want to play that game then actually Royal Enfield is the oldest company if you want to use their logic. Either way Indian posers lose.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #25
robc90
Registered Member

Unhappy XBike

I took a test ride on the Xcountry... And Victory needs to adress the noisy notchy transmision. It was a very disapointing ride. There was one time leaving from a stop light that it would not come out of 1st and go into second. I tried several times. I am not used to having to STOMP on the shifter. Putting the bike in first from nutreal was like smashing a rock with a hammer and the CRACK sound echoed off all the surounding buildings and shook the bike.

The other bothersom thing was how loud the valve clicking was. It was so loud it was difficult to hear the radio unless the volume was way up there. There was no way to hear the sound of the pipes over this valve racket.

I never understood what people ment by the term the brakes feel wooden - but I do now... The brake lever was very stiff - this is hard to explain but there was no feed back from the lever.. Wooden ??

With all the hype about power and torque - I was let down when I rolled into the throttle at 2k RPM and the bike was totaly flat. At that RPM there is no torque. At 3k the bike pulled smartly. But I am used to torque at a much lower RPM. Isnt that what a V-twin is all about?

Things are not all negative. The ride was fantastic. I have not found a bike that was so smooth over rough roads. They did a fantastic job.

It went into the Victory dealer ready to buy. But they really need to address that noisy notchy tranny. And those noisy vaves are hard on the ears. And yes I did try anther bike to see if this was across the board and it sure is....

There was no way I could pay that amount of money for what seemed like a bike that wasnt ready to be put that high on a pedastal.

The end result... The bike is cool to look at and I am very happy to see Victory kick some but .. But to me it just seemed (Crude).......

Rob
robc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #26
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
But they never stopped producing a continuous line of motorcycles. The Sportster, for example, has the same engine architecture it did before AMF and after (AMF was one of only 2 "sales" of HD; the management LBO of 1980 wasn't a "sale" in my opinion). You could buy and service HDs at the same dealers throughout the company's history.

I knew a guy who worked in the WigWam back in the 50's. When he saw the HD clone engines in the new "Indian" bikes, he threw up on my shoes.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post

I knew a guy who worked in the WigWam back in the 50's. When he saw the HD clone engines in the new "Indian" bikes, he threw up on my shoes.

Bastard!! The Ferragamos or the Cesare Paciotti's???

Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #28
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Bastard!! The Ferragamos or the Cesare Paciotti's???
The Bruno Maglis....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
The Bruno Maglis....

Serves him right for wearing them with Bermuda shorts and black socks...

Old 08-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #30
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc90 View Post
I took a test ride on the Xcountry... And Victory needs to adress the noisy notchy transmision. It was a very disapointing ride. There was one time leaving from a stop light that it would not come out of 1st and go into second. I tried several times. I am not used to having to STOMP on the shifter. Putting the bike in first from nutreal was like smashing a rock with a hammer and the CRACK sound echoed off all the surounding buildings and shook the bike.

With all the hype about power and torque - I was let down when I rolled into the throttle at 2k RPM and the bike was totaly flat. At that RPM there is no torque. At 3k the bike pulled smartly. But I am used to torque at a much lower RPM. Isnt that what a V-twin is all about?

Rob
The Vic's tranny isn't as smooth as the latest Harley boxes, but it's not as bad as you indicate. Perhaps if you didn't STOMP on the shifter when making a one-two shift and instead lifted on the lever would help.

Your comments about the power makes me question your objectivity. Below is a dyno chart of the Vic against Harley's power-up TC103 (not the standard TC96).
http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/ga..._NOI SSES_PMT