Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Adventure-Touring Shootout: Triumph Tiger 800XC vs. BMW F800GS [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19061-2011-adventure-touring-shootout-triumph-tiger-800xc-vs-bmw-f800gs-video.html)

Administrator 08-04-2011 01:44 PM

2011 Adventure-Touring Shootout: Triumph Tiger 800XC vs. BMW F800GS [Video]

Original Article:
2011 Adventure-Touring Shootout: Triumph Tiger 800XC vs. BMW F800GS [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Adventure-Touring Shootout: Triumph Tiger 800XC vs. BMW F800GS [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

fonzie 08-04-2011 02:10 PM

Woo Hoo!

First Post!

Captain Steve 08-04-2011 02:36 PM

Nice writeup. Sounds like the triumph would make a better commuter but the beemer is still better in the dirt.

12er 08-04-2011 03:08 PM

Nice little shootout. After riding the BMW I was looking forward to the comparison. The 10 mpg diff though I didnt care for. Sad when my 1200 gets better mileage than an 800. The Triumph bag shortcoming is easily fixed. I'm sure some Jesse bags will fit just fine.

So off road the abrupt throttle on the BMW wasnt a big deal? Or are all new bikes like that and you guys are just used to it? My demo I found any bump would cause the bike to lurch, seemed if the return spring was too soft. Maybe it was just me.

seruzawa 08-04-2011 03:42 PM

Since I've yet to see any BMWs or Triumphs in the dirt near Moab (except mine) where there are more BMWs especially than you can shake a stick at it appears that probably 99% of riders are getting the GSes as a fashion statement. Not that I blame them considering the price of a 1200GS Adventure. Who wants to dump it? Generally I see a couple of KTMs but no GSes. I'd much prefer the F800ST. No bike that weighs nearly 500lb is worth a crap in the dirt anyhow.

But the prices of these things are pushing into the Tiger1050 territory. Something that prospective riders are going to consider when visiting the showrooms. This works against Triumph too. BMW has apparently removed their prices from their website and we know what that means... ridiculous over pricing.

For that matter I saw a guy driving off a new K1600 today when I was at the dealer. A nice enough bike but you could never tell it was a 6 cylinder bike without looking really close. Frankly I don't see any reason to get it over the defunct 1300GT which weighs about 100lbs less. Well, I just think that BMW is going in the wrong direction. No more 4 cylinder bikes with longitudinal crankshafts. Nothing really distinguishes them from the Japanese competition all that much. And 90 degree joints in the drive train rob a lot of power.

jmdonald 08-04-2011 03:58 PM

Nice Video

Nice write up and the videos are getting better and better. I'm not sure which one I would choose.

Dr_Sprocket 08-04-2011 07:41 PM

Funny enough, I saw a Triumph Tiger 800 on the road just this morning! Guess that means the Tiger is the bike for me. Yipee!

Kevin_Duke 08-04-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 264226)
The 10 mpg diff though I didnt care for. Sad when my 1200 gets better mileage than an 800.

Keep in mind that the mileage we get is pretty much always worse than what owners typically get. Riding to 60 mph, then stopping and turning around for photographers is a sure way to get crappy mileage. That said, our reported mileage is valuable for comparisons such as these, as both bikes were run under the same conditions.

Morbo the Destroyer 08-05-2011 05:38 AM

As I read the review, I was thinking wow, it looks like BMW is handing Triumph a butt kicking. Then the conclusion page comes along and nope, the Tiger wins the day.

IMO, if a bike is supposed to be designed for off-pavement use, then that's how it should be judged. Regardless of the percentage of time it will be used that way. Seru is right, anyone buying this bike over a Tiger 1050 needs to have their head examined, unless they're buying an off-pavement machine.

12er 08-05-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 264250)
Keep in mind that the mileage we get is pretty much always worse than what owners typically get. Riding to 60 mph, then stopping and turning around for photographers is a sure way to get crappy mileage. That said, our reported mileage is valuable for comparisons such as these, as both bikes were run under the same conditions.

Well being I'm basically two up solo, shoulders like a barn door and a propensity to ride it like I stole it, your numbers sound about right.

Looks like I'm going to try and find a low mileage KTM 990 Adv and call it day. That bike I loved...