Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 BMW K1600GTL vs. 2012 Honda Gold Wing Shootout [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19020-2012-bmw-k1600gtl-vs-2012-honda-gold-wing-shootout-video.html)

Administrator 07-28-2011 03:01 PM

2012 BMW K1600GTL vs. 2012 Honda Gold Wing Shootout [Video]

Original Article:
2012 BMW K1600GTL vs. 2012 Honda Gold Wing Shootout [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 BMW K1600GTL vs. 2012 Honda Gold Wing Shootout [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 07-28-2011 03:55 PM

Whats not to like?

The weight. As much as I like both of these bikes they are just too heavy. It's my own preference. Nice review.

Tom Roderick 07-28-2011 04:05 PM

Thanks, jmdonald. Maybe Honda will respond with a lighter-than-the-Beemer Gold Wing. Still, they'll remain big, heavy rigs... but whoever heard of a lightweight motorhome? ;)

Buzglyd 07-28-2011 04:47 PM

Awesome. I'll take the BMW.

You guys weren't really that beat up after 750 miles, were you? The Mofos are getting old!

I don't think Sierras is correct. Sierra is plural on its own.

jmdonald 07-28-2011 04:51 PM

Need to live with my decision.

My next purchase will be dedicated tourer of some sort this year. I love all the features available on these bikes. Especially the storage. I can see how a little more heft can be an asset on the open road but get the feeling I'm still missing something. I will need to ride one to see for myself if the weight is that much of an issue.

Kevin_Duke 07-28-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 263825)
My next purchase will be dedicated tourer of some sort this year. I love all the features available on these bikes. Especially the storage. I can see how a little more heft can be an asset on the open road but get the feeling I'm still missing something. I will need to ride one to see for myself if the weight is that much of an issue.

You may be pleasantly surprised...

Tom Roderick 07-28-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 263824)
Awesome. I'll take the BMW.

You guys weren't really that beat up after 750 miles, were you? The Mofos are getting old!

I don't think Sierras is correct. Sierra is plural on its own.

750 miles isn't a marathon, but you have to factor in this wasn't simply riding. We stop repeatedly for photo and video shots. The temperature in the valley was hovering around 105 degrees both days. Day one started at 7am and ended around 10:30pm. Day two started around 8am and ended at 1:30am Sunday morning, including a 15-mile decent out of the mountains on a switchback road, covered in pea-gravel and a 200-mile non-stop stint after dinner to home. As comfortable as these bikes are, that many hours in the saddle for two days is a lot for anyone.

Correct: Sierra Mountains or, shortened version, Sierras

Cheers!

Buzglyd 07-28-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roderick (Post 263833)
750 miles isn't a marathon, but you have to factor in this wasn't simply riding. We stop repeatedly for photo and video shots. The temperature in the valley was hovering around 105 degrees both days. Day one started at 7am and ended around 10:30pm. Day two started around 8am and ended at 1:30am Sunday morning, including a 15-mile decent out of the mountains on a switchback road, covered in pea-gravel and a 200-mile non-stop stint after dinner to home. As comfortable as these bikes are, that many hours in the saddle for two days is a lot for anyone.

Correct: Sierra Mountains or, shortened version, Sierras

Cheers!

Sierra means range or mountain range so you wouldn't say Sierra mountains ever.

Sierra Nevada would roughly translate to Nevada Range.

I've done plenty of Mofo tests and Fonz's endless photo stops are killers!

pushrod 07-29-2011 07:23 AM

Great article, but these bikes do nothing for me. Before I went for something like these, I'd buy a Miata. They have most of the 'stuff', and a roof and A/C.

I think that often, especially when I see a 'Wing sailing down the road, loaded to the gills, and towing a trailer.

Still, variety and spice-of-life and all that...

seruzawa 07-29-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roderick (Post 263822)
Thanks, jmdonald. Maybe Honda will respond with a lighter-than-the-Beemer Gold Wing. Still, they'll remain big, heavy rigs... but whoever heard of a lightweight motorhome? ;)

So this site is now "Motorhome Online"?