Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #21
opie
Founding Member

Motorcycle Consumer News just released its very detailed comparison between the Wing and the GTL1600. The Wing won hands down. You'll have to read it. I can't recap it all here. I own two BMWs currently and I've owned a handful more in the past including an R1150RT which I loved. I think if I were getting a touring bike right now I'd get a used R1200RT with a top box. But the Wing is very good at what it's made to do.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Motorcycle Consumer News just released its very detailed comparison between the Wing and the GTL1600. The Wing won hands down. .
The Wing only wins anytime you're not in a real big hurry...
Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #23
Captain Steve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Motorcycle Consumer News just released its very detailed comparison between the Wing and the GTL1600. The Wing won hands down. You'll have to read it. I can't recap it all here. I own two BMWs currently and I've owned a handful more in the past including an R1150RT which I loved. I think if I were getting a touring bike right now I'd get a used R1200RT with a top box. But the Wing is very good at what it's made to do.
But then I'd have to read MCN. After seeing a couple of their videos on youtube I'll pass.

Edit: I take it back, it was motorcyclenews.com that are the blithering idiots I'm thinking of. I have nothing against Motorcycle Consumer News yet except them putting a 'wing ahead of the GTL1600.

Last edited by Captain Steve : 08-19-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch001 View Post
Good engineering is timeless, HONDA is the definition of "good engineering"!
Apparently you've never owned a Magna. Or any of the numerous Honda models that fry regulators regularly.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Apparently you've never owned a Magna. Or any of the numerous Honda models that fry regulators regularly.
Uh,Yeah - that'd be nearly every model made between 1983 and 2006, IIRC.....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #26
The Spaceman
Registered Member

A print mag I subscribe to came out with their GTL vs. Gold Wing comparison this month. They came to the same conclusion: for long distance riding, the Gold Wing is a better machine:

Better luggage with more space.
Vastly better seat and ergos.
Performance differential is minimal for anything but the tightest twisties.

The Wing got knocked for its "outdated" analog buttons versus the Bimmer's digital display with the wheeled selector on the handlebar. One of the writers metioned the buttons will be easier to fix in 10 years than the CAN BUS setup.

According to the magazines performance charts, the Wing's 1/4 mile time and speed were MUCH better than the 1600's. I didn't expect that.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #27
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
A print mag I subscribe to came out with their GTL vs. Gold Wing comparison this month. They came to the same conclusion: for long distance riding, the Gold Wing is a better machine.

According to the magazines performance charts, the Wing's 1/4 mile time and speed were MUCH better than the 1600's. I didn't expect that.
I presume you're talking about Motorcyclist mag, in which the Wing did a 12.12 quarter to the GTL's 12.45. However, they really failed by not disabling traction control. Cycle World posted an 11.21-sec run on the mechanically identical K1600GT.

Also of note, MC lists the 60-80-mph roll-on ET at 3.95 secs on the GTL, while the Wing posted a 5.42-sec run.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #28
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I presume you're talking about Motorcyclist mag, in which the Wing did a 12.12 quarter to the GTL's 12.45. However, they really failed by not disabling traction control. Cycle World posted an 11.21-sec run on the mechanically identical K1600GT.

Also of note, MC lists the 60-80-mph roll-on ET at 3.95 secs on the GTL, while the Wing posted a 5.42-sec run.
Those 1/4 mile times make more sense, although I was pretty surprised at how quick the 'Wing I rode was off the line. It moves along for such a giant machine.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Those 1/4 mile times make more sense, although I was pretty surprised at how quick the 'Wing I rode was off the line. It moves along for such a giant machine.
Indeed. There have only been a couple of (very expensive) cars ever made that could do a 12.1 quarter.