Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   A Luxury-Touring Rethink (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19018-luxury-touring-rethink.html)

Administrator 07-28-2011 09:57 AM

A Luxury-Touring Rethink

Original Article:
A Luxury-Touring Rethink

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article A Luxury-Touring Rethink in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 07-28-2011 11:32 AM

Many Good Points

For touring I want all the amenities and technology offered on bikes like the Goldwing. Even a big bike like this has the nimbleness needed to make it an enjoyable riding experience. You don't have to be an Old Guy to appreciate the value of a complete package touring bike like the Wing. Just the cash to be able to afford one. Well done.

Morbo the Destroyer 07-28-2011 12:09 PM

Very good write up. The Wing is an amazing bike, even today, even compared to BMW's latest 6-cylinder doo-dad. We'll see if BMW sells a million of theirs over 30+ years.

BTW: it looks to me like your Wing came with a built-in butt massager. She was sitting right behind you!

12er 07-28-2011 01:19 PM

Sadly the wing is just too small. The new BMW too expensive, so maybe by next year I can get a low miles LT for 5k after all the trade ins for the new 1600.

Dr_Sprocket 07-28-2011 03:53 PM

Wow! It's amazing just how flat the Wing's torque and power curves are... even compared to the new Beemer! Shows just how good the Goldwing is (was).

Kevin_Duke 07-28-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 263820)
Wow! It's amazing just how flat the Wing's torque and power curves are... even compared to the new Beemer! Shows just how good the Goldwing is (was).

Are you referring to our recently published dyno charts in our Gold Wing vs. K1600GTL shootout?
2012 BMW K1600GTL vs. 2012 Honda Gold Wing Shootout [Video]

Dr_Sprocket 07-28-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 263826)
Are you referring to our recently published dyno charts in our Gold Wing vs. K1600GTL shootout?
2012 BMW K1600GTL vs. 2012 Honda Gold Wing Shootout [Video]

Indeed I am, sir! Indeed, I am.

Nevertheless, the GW has a pretty flat curve. Impressive!

shalbleib 07-29-2011 09:27 AM

Kevin_Duke 07-29-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalbleib (Post 263867)

That's awesome! Brought back good memories from the 2012 Wing launch.

sarnali2 07-29-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalbleib (Post 263867)

Very impressive, both bike and rider. Cameraman/bike too for that matter.

While I appreciate bikes like the Goldwing, K1600GTL and HD Ultra's it's not something I'd be terribly interested in. I prefer a more minimalist approach which is why I sold the last FLHT I had and bought a GS, with the standard Vario luggage it'll haul quite a bit and my GT with the trunk is even better.

The simple truth is that if I was traveling from here to Florida I'd rather drive anyway. Sacrilege from a long time motorcyclist like myself but there you have it. I'm as much of a gearhead as a biker and to me a trip like that would be more fun in an A6