Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Victory Cross Country Tour Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/19007-2012-victory-cross-country-tour-preview.html)

Administrator 07-26-2011 06:32 PM

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour Preview

Original Article:
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

V2Rider 07-26-2011 07:04 PM

The Cross Country Tour may be worth a look but the Ness Vision shown in Nuclear Sunset is hideous.

Buzglyd 07-26-2011 09:08 PM

If you want to re-live the late 90s, we've got your bike!

Matt7even 07-27-2011 06:39 AM

Constently Evolving

With the better wind management/protection & standard ABS I think Victory has addressed the main weak points of the Cross Country and now it appears to have replaced the Vision as the company's flag ship tourer. One indication of this is that the Vision's MSRP dropped down to $20,999! Now if only I could replace those glove boxes with the Cross Country's ample saddlebags the Vision would be my next tourer for sure!

jmdonald 07-27-2011 08:17 AM

New Appreciation for Tourers

Now that I am approaching Geezer status my next purchase will be a dedicated tourer but not this one.

Morbo the Destroyer 07-27-2011 09:42 AM

I really admire Victory's ability to increase sales and profitability at a time when many of their competitors are happy with a P&L that consists of: "Good news! We didn't lose as much as last year!"

Victory was right on the money with their Vision strategy several years ago. They created their touring platform of the future with the Vision, and wrapped in a design that was bound to bring them a great deal of publicity and market awareness. And now they're bringing more mainstream bikes out that leverage the Vision platform and broaden their customer base. That strategy worked, and it's paying off today.

I remember one of the first Victory bikes that showed up in South Florida back in '97 or '98. A guy I worked with bought it from a Miami shop; it was their basic Harley clone with sporty brakes and suspension. I forget the model name, but not the test ride. I'd been riding the Shovelhead for 10 years at that time, and when I rode the Vic, I did a stoppie and almost wrecked in the process. After 1/2 hour on his bike, I spent the next three months buying Progressive suspension and brake products for the FXS, trying to keep up.

I never thought they'd have much future buiding Harley clones; it's a good thing they were smart enough to differentiate themselves with more than cosmetics and some motor tweaks, like the Visions modern frame design. Today, they don't make anything I want to buy, but maybe their models will change in the years ahead. Or, like JMD, I'll get old enough to want to ride a bike like theirs. Either way, I wish them well.

sarnali2 07-27-2011 10:19 AM

I've got to hand it to them for staying in the game and for coming up with their own look. It's not something I'd be interested in because I prefer a sport touring style but it looks good in it's own right.

Ken, that was probably a "92C" you rode.....

Captain Steve 07-27-2011 11:25 AM

I think I threw up in my mouth a little when I got to the ugly yellow bike. Victory's styling sense just flat out doesn't match mine.

Dr_Sprocket 07-27-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 263727)
Now that I am approaching Geezer status my next purchase will be a dedicated tourer but not this one.

(You're still young.)
"I'm still young!"

(You don't need a tourer.)
"I don't need a tourer."

(You want a sport bike -- a Ducati.)
"I want a sport bike. Maybe I should get a Ducati!"

See? The old Jedi mind trick still works. :D

Morbo the Destroyer 07-28-2011 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 263734)
Ken, that was probably a "92C" you rode.....

Yeah, that does sound familiar. It was a pretty neat bike!