Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default new helmet time.........

Got to work this morning and decided to wash my helmet liner, the trusty Multitek was getting a little ripe. I usually wash it at work because we have a deep sink and since it's toasty warm in here things dry fast.

Anyway there I am gently washing the liner with dish soap and the dam*n thing came apart in my hands., well shoot sez I, the lid is 5 years old and used almost daily so I guess it's due, but it was money I didn't want to spend right now.

A little window-net shopping had the choice down to a Suomy D20 or the another Shoei, The Suomy looked interesting but overall nods seem to go towards the Multitek. The deciding factors were weight and color and the fact that I have a Shoei head so I ordered one in Axis Yellow from a company in Oregon, they had the best price, free 2 day shipping and no sales tax (take THAT ya sum'b*tch's)

I guess I'll wear my 3/4 for a few days until it shows up, it's warm out anyway...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

That Yellow hat isn't going to clash with the Hi-Viz, is it?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Oh, and a minor nit to pick: The ARAI dude recommended that the innards of the hat should be washed with baby shampoo. No additives.

'Dish soap' might be too harsh and/or contain additives (no-spot, fragrance, etc.) that could 'injure' the liner or even the EPS foam.

Back to our regular program -

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
That Yellow hat isn't going to clash with the Hi-Viz, is it?
I hope so! the combination of Axis Yellow (so appropo..) Namibia Orange and grungy Hi Viz should have the cell phone yapping latte` sipping cagers transfixed and immobilized like deer in front of logging trucks, that way I can safely motor by and go on about my business.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
12er
Founding Member

I'm in the same boat, the mouth vent exploded in my hand when I was parking at Laguna this weekend. Ive been looking for a while but trying to put off the $630 for the lid I want.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I'm in the same boat, the mouth vent exploded in my hand when I was parking at Laguna this weekend. Ive been looking for a while but trying to put off the $630 for the lid I want.

This one was $439, I like the flip front because I wear glasses and it's handy to be able to flip it up to talk or get some air

Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I'm a big fan of the flip-ups. I started using them back when I smoked, now I just like it for ease of use.

Any helmet that costs over $300 should have a fully removable, washable liner. Maybe other climates aren't so bad, but in my experience once the liner gets a couple of good sweats, it cannot be made right in-helmet. Maybe better, but not right.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
I'm a big fan of the flip-ups. I started using them back when I smoked, now I just like it for ease of use.

Any helmet that costs over $300 should have a fully removable, washable liner. Maybe other climates aren't so bad, but in my experience once the liner gets a couple of good sweats, it cannot be made right in-helmet. Maybe better, but not right.
Agreed! I was a bit diasppointed to find out my Arai did not have a removeable liner.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
12er
Founding Member

I have ground my face off in a bmx accident before so no flip ups for me. That and I dont fully trust them or want the added weight. So I'm looking at the new RX-Q with the Mamola paint scheme. I can get the high viz for $130 less but with my new High Viz jacket my clocks reflect neon green horrifically, that and with my wife on back I'm sure it would get tiring to look at. So the Mamola is as close to my current lid that I love's paint scheme and matches my 'stich.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I do miss having cool graphics, my last regular full face lid was a Noburo Ueda rep that looked pretty b*tchin' but between glasses and earrings it a pain in the butt. Besides I like the flippers because I can pop the chin bar up and get some air, also going through the gate at work is easier if they can see me clearly. The flipper just works better for me.