Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
It does sound Awesome, reminded me of a late 90's M3. So any organized MOron-a-thon at Laguna this year? I'll be on the hill by 8am on Friday. If anyone is taking the shortcut up the hill to the corkscrew, stop by the first bush mid way up and say hey.
The USGP MOron-a-thon begins Thursday morning, with all four staffers traversing Hwys 33 and 58 to SLO. Then up PCH to Monterey on Friday. Flag us over if you see us.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #22
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Loss of power

Unfortunately a 25% loss of power from BMW's claims was once typical, though I think with the 1000rr they stuck closer to the truth (as the truth was so bloody impressive). For years you could multiply their claimed output for the boxers X .75 to get a realistic rear wheel number. Unfortunately these things don't seem to be in our dealers at $20K, which even at that price is too rich for my blood. Not sure how many $25K bikes BMW can hope to sell, but given you can find Concours 14s for 10-12K, it's a tough value proposition.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
Unfortunately a 25% loss of power from BMW's claims was once typical, though I think with the 1000rr they stuck closer to the truth (as the truth was so bloody impressive). For years you could multiply their claimed output for the boxers X .75 to get a realistic rear wheel number. Unfortunately these things don't seem to be in our dealers at $20K, which even at that price is too rich for my blood. Not sure how many $25K bikes BMW can hope to sell, but given you can find Concours 14s for 10-12K, it's a tough value proposition.
Don't be too hard on BMW yet. I have no reason to suspect CW's dyno numbers, and their 132.7 hp equates to a 17.1% reduction in crank hp, about what's expected. We'll get our new GT on the dyno to see what it does. Stay tuned.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
rvfrules
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I'm surprised you weren't impressed, especially by its engine. It's got nearly as much low end as a Wing, which is one torquey mutha.
I was surprised enough that when I got home from the test ride I checked out some online reviews to see what others thought. I found an interesting torque comparison between the K1600GTL and K1300GT that Kevin Ash made, which shows the K13 outgrunts the K16 through much of the lower rpm range.

BMW K1600GT torque comparison | Ash On Bikes
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm beginning to wonder what exactly this bike has over the K1300GT or an FJR or a Concours that makes it worth an extra 10K. Just the honor of having a 6 cylinder engine and a few extra comforts doesn't seem worth it. Even if you are someone who likes 700+lb bikes. So far it doesn't seem that the product is living up to the hype. I admit I'm not a fan of heavy weight bikes, but it seems that the power is no improvement over the current run of I-4s.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I'm beginning to wonder what exactly this bike has over the K1300GT or an FJR or a Concours that makes it worth an extra 10K. Just the honor of having a 6 cylinder engine and a few extra comforts doesn't seem worth it. Even if you are someone who likes 700+lb bikes. So far it doesn't seem that the product is living up to the hype. I admit I'm not a fan of heavy weight bikes, but it seems that the power is no improvement over the current run of I-4s.
I'll be the first to admit it's no faster than my 1300. I think the numbers bear that out.

However, it FEELS so damn good. There is zero vibration anywhere. It sounds totally bada$$ and yeah I don't need it but I want it.

Practicality bores me.

My tombstone will never read: "He was a very practical fellow."

It ain't the bike for the milk crate brigade.

I'm perfectly ok with that.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #27
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Buz gave a great response to this. No one needs a Six, but don't knock it until you try it. The K13GT won our '09 S-T shootout, and it would do well in a comparison with the 16GT, and it feels quite a bit lighter. But the engine in the K16 is magical. There is not a four-cylinder engine in the world that is this smooth, and its sound is a pure delight. Anyway, we'll let you know how it rates next to the Connie.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Buz gave a great response to this. No one needs a Six, but don't knock it until you try it. The K13GT won our '09 S-T shootout, and it would do well in a comparison with the 16GT, and it feels quite a bit lighter. But the engine in the K16 is magical. There is not a four-cylinder engine in the world that is this smooth, and its sound is a pure delight. Anyway, we'll let you know how it rates next to the Connie.
I have tried a CBX and the old KZ1300. Neat bikes. But the users voted with their wallets. Since BMW dropped the LT this bike will probably take some of those buyers.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
I have tried a CBX and the old KZ1300. Neat bikes. But the users voted with their wallets. Since BMW dropped the LT this bike will probably take some of those buyers.
On the plus side, there are enough guys out there griping about the demise of the 4 cyl. GT that my bike should retain a decent resale value.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
On the plus side, there are enough guys out there griping about the demise of the 4 cyl. GT that my bike should retain a decent resale value.
I suspect that BMWs attempt to force K1600 sales by discontinuing the 4 cylinder GTs will backfire. I already know one guy who decided to keep his K1300GT instead of trading every two years like he usually does. There are already plenty of rumblings about the switch to transverse 4s and the extra powertrain losses with the 90 degree couplings. I suspect that BMW's move will be about as successful as their decision to drop Boxers in the 80s.