Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfrules View Post
No chance to test the GT but I took a GTL out for a short test ride and wasn't too impressed. The low-end torque felt pretty weak and even twisting the throttle WFO through the mid-range the motor didn't feel as fast as I was expecting given its 160hp rating. The bike was well-balanced and easy to ride even at a walking pace, but its legroom felt pretty cramped even with my shortish 30" inseam. More than anything else, it reminded me of a Burgman 650 on steroids — it was very competent but didn't stir up any feelings of excitement. Maybe I'd feel differently about it if I could take it touring for a day, but for now I like the K1300GT better.
I'm surprised you weren't impressed, especially by its engine. It's got nearly as much low end as a Wing, which is one torquey mutha. The GTL's legroom isn't very roomy, but adjustable seat heights and optional seats can make a big diff. Otherwise, the GT's higher seat might fit you better.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I just picked up the K16GT we'll ride to Laguna. Holy crap, the exhaust note and its volume is even more impressive than I remembered! Makes you want to rev the piss out of it everywhere!
After Laguna ride over to Sears Point for the drags!

I'll meet you there (after I've hidden my expensive wine stash of course) and share some wine with you.

I'll be in Napa all next week.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #13
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Perhaps this is the touring barge for sport bike guys.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
12er
Founding Member

It does sound Awesome, reminded me of a late 90's M3. So any organized MOron-a-thon at Laguna this year? I'll be on the hill by 8am on Friday. If anyone is taking the shortcut up the hill to the corkscrew, stop by the first bush mid way up and say hey.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
First post!

I'll have to go test ride one of these as well. The 6 is on the short list for sure-it just comes down to which ergos I like the best.

My girlfriend is tiny and loves to ride on my 1300 but she is kind of perched up there in the wind even though I have a top box. I'm leaning forward to the bars so I'm kind of a long way from her. She gets a lot of buffeting and cold air (in the mountains of course) that I don't get behind the windshield.

The GTL might be best if you're two up a lot especially if your passenger is small. Of course, I haven't seen too many petite BMW riders out and about!

Well if you'd quit dating 15 year olds.....

At any rate I'd be happy add a GT to my garage, I'd just pop for a footpeg lowering kit to give my creaky knees a break. I want to turn over a 100k on my K1200GT before I do anything else though, and I still have my GS to pay for...and my Explorer is getting a little long in the tooth and sooner or later Ford will import the 247hp Focus ST hatchback...

So it's on the list anyway....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well if you'd quit dating 15 year olds.....

At any rate I'd be happy add a GT to my garage, I'd just pop for a footpeg lowering kit to give my creaky knees a break. I want to turn over a 100k on my K1200GT before I do anything else though, and I still have my GS to pay for...and my Explorer is getting a little long in the tooth and sooner or later Ford will import the 247hp Focus ST hatchback...

So it's on the list anyway....
I'm sure the 6 is a nice bike but the maintenance looks murderous.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
AlexKovnat
Registered Member

It was a disappointment to read about how nearly a quarter of the Kay Sixteen Hundred's engine power is lost before it gets to the drive wheel, because of transmission losses. Given that premium gasoline may well cost $5.00 per gallon soon enough, one should hope that BMW will look for ways to reduce this transmission loss.
AlexKovnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I'm sure the 6 is a nice bike but the maintenance looks murderous.

I personally think with 24 valves BMW could have come up with hydraulic adjusters, surely there's enough expertise in the automotive side of the house to cross over. That's 90 % of the maintenance cost in hours, filters and fluid changes are nothing even accounting for bodywork

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
That's 90 % of the maintenance cost in hours, filters and fluid changes are nothing even accounting for bodywork
Unless you own a BMW LT which was apparently designed around the air filter.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
After Laguna ride over to Sears Point for the drags!

I'll meet you there (after I've hidden my expensive wine stash of course) and share some wine with you.

I'll be in Napa all next week.
Sounds like fun! I'd like to find out if I could beat CW's 11.20 ET. But time is our enemy, so your wine is safe. This time...