Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
V65inFLORIDA
Registered Member

Default Cursory specs on 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit?

Why are the specs so vague on the late model Shadows? The 1100cc specs I've searched for online, it was hard to find horsepower rating and absolutely nothing about the engines redline. Is it 7000 rpm, 8000, 9000? Doesn't matter, the bike doesn't come with a tach either. I guess that's why they're easy to pass in my Magna, having instruments and V4 that can easily pass the riders not sure of how hard to push their bike?
Where is the OD 6th gear on these? It's a cruiser with only 5 speeds? Sad to have to stay with a 25 year old bike having better features than these 2006 rear drum brake single front disk bikes they make today.
I had a 96 Magna 750 but it was too slow, hard to go backwards after riding a V65 1100cc 4000 miles, you kind of want to get something that fits the cruiser category but not give up the fun of acceleration. Should I just ante up for a 1300cc bike to get what I need? Anyone with a newer bike that can help me would be greatly appreciated. I don't plan to beat the daylights out of any bike but it's good to know where the redline is, unless it's an automatic.
V65inFLORIDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65inFLORIDA View Post
Why are the specs so vague on the late model Shadows?

I guess that's why they're easy to pass in my Magna,

Where is the OD 6th gear on these? It's a cruiser with only 5 speeds?

Should I just ante up for a 1300cc bike to get what I need?
It's no wonder you are confused, since it appears that you have a couple of misconceptions.

"Specs" don't really mean crap. Most riders get the bike they like and feel comfortable with and the BHP number isn't that important.

You can have an OD top gear without having 5 lower ones. I've got a FOUR speed cruiser. While I doubt that its 4th gear is OD, it easily could be. I like the torquey feel and not having to shift so much.

You should "ante up" for what you can afford and what you really need.
More power is something you WANT, not something you "need".

Test ride until you find something you like. The Busa is nice if you REALLY want POWER.

P.S. What is your 25 year old piece of junk NOT doing that you think you need ??

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 07-17-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Only the Shadow knows. . .
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
newagetwotone
Registered Member

So heres a couple of questions for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65inFLORIDA View Post
Why are the specs so vague on the late model Shadows?
Does it matter? It will move you, a passenger and any luggage you want at more than legal speed.

Quote:
The 1100cc specs I've searched for online, it was hard to find horsepower rating and absolutely nothing about the engines redline. Is it 7000 rpm, 8000, 9000?
What does the horsepower matter? Why does it matter to you exactly? You want to do burn outs and blow people out of red lights... ona cruiser? If it is such a big deal look at this thread, which was found on the first page of a google search.

Spirit 1100 - HP? - Shadowriders

Quote:
Doesn't matter, the bike doesn't come with a tach either.
Not saying much, alot of bikes over the years have come and still do come sans tach.

Quote:
I guess that's why they're easy to pass in my Magna, having instruments and V4 that can easily pass the riders not sure of how hard to push their bike?
Maybe the other person doesn't care to ride around like a tool going over the speed limit? You do realize that a triumph bonnie at 60hp will take 400+lbs of rider and a set of saddlebags and top case at well over 65mph with power left to pass? Who cares if you can pass them going 105, where are you going to do that?

Quote:
Where is the OD 6th gear on these? It's a cruiser with only 5 speeds? Sad to have to stay with a 25 year old bike having better features than these 2006 rear drum brake single front disk bikes they make today.
Wont question the brake comment but again, is 6th gear necessary if you can cruise a long just fine in 5th?

Quote:
I had a 96 Magna 750 but it was too slow
I'm sorry but what are you 550 lbs? That 750 magna is an 80hp cruiser.... the V65 is rated at 116hp and the only thing made today that is faster in the cruiser market is the Vmax at 173 hp.

If you feel that the V65 is slow then maybe its time to buy a crotch rocket, otherwise your only real choice is a Vmax or a Bosshoss.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

What's the rush? There's nowhere to go in Palm Bay.

Or are you trying to escape by jumping the fence at high speed?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
What's the rush? There's nowhere to go in Palm Bay.

Or are you trying to escape by jumping the fence at high speed?
No way he's as cool as Steve McQueen~!

newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote