Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Ural Gear-Up Review [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18918-2011-ural-gear-up-review-video.html)

Administrator 07-12-2011 03:12 PM

2011 Ural Gear-Up Review [Video]

Original Article:
2011 Ural Gear-Up Review [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Ural Gear-Up Review [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

sliphorn 07-12-2011 03:46 PM

Way cool!! Thanks for the review. The Ural I'd like to have is the solo, no sidecar. Though a sidecar does have its appeal.

12er 07-12-2011 04:54 PM

Now that looked like a fun review.

Tom Roderick 07-12-2011 05:06 PM

You're welcome, Sliphorn, and it was a fun review, 12er.
With or without a sidecar, Ural's are cool for no other reason than they exist. I've never lamented returning a press bike as much as this one.

bigjames 07-12-2011 06:43 PM

As a sidecarist, I really enjoyed that! With HD out of the sidecar business, Ural (and the Chinese Version, CJ) is the last motorcycle manufacturer still making them! The pulling to the right when you start is probably an alignment issue, not uncommon in the sidecar world!. It should never lurch either direction! Tighten up that steering damper! New Urals are light years better than the old. If you like the 2 wheeler they have two now (at least in Europe). The T and the Retro. No, they aren't for everyone, but they sure are fun!

James Allmond
Pres, Georgia Sidecar Club
1976 R90/6 w/Motorvation Royale
1988 HD FLHS w/Watsonian Cambridge

Sir_Angus 07-13-2011 06:47 AM

I want one!

Only one question ... Are they a UK setup? The reason I ask is according to the article:

"Finding the sweet spot between speed, weight balance and centrifugal force when navigating a right turn and elevating the sidecar skyward is akin to learning to wheelie."

With the sidecar on your right this should only happen during a LEFT turn.

Conversely ...

"When performing left turns the sidecar wheel becomes an outrigger, digging into the pavement or dirt so tenaciously you can push the front end without concern of losing control."

This seems to be a RIGHT turn scenerio.

Or maybe I forgot my left from my right. I've long since lost the "L" and "R" that used to be taped to my shoes. LOL

pushrod 07-13-2011 09:16 AM

Sir_Angus,

The description in the article is correct. Right turns, if taken too enthusiastically, will 'fly' the sidecar.

The rider's weight (actually, all the weight of the rider and bike that is above the cG) is trying to lever the bike over.

sarnali2 07-13-2011 09:24 AM

That's why you need to carry your 300 lb former Olympic medalist weightlifter girlfriend or a commensurate amount of potato's beets and vodka in the sidecar at all times.

Sir_Angus 07-13-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 262942)
Sir_Angus,

The description in the article is correct. Right turns, if taken too enthusiastically, will 'fly' the sidecar.

The rider's weight (actually, all the weight of the rider and bike that is above the cG) is trying to lever the bike over.

Maybe it's because I've never driven with a sidecar, but the physics described in the article don't make sense to me.

A hard right turn, at worst, should bury the nose of the sidecar into the pavement. While the same "enthusiasm" during a left turn should lift the sidecar's wheel from contact.

pushrod 07-13-2011 12:43 PM

Nope!

It's the same physics that causes trikes so much grief in an emergency maneuver. One rear wheel lifts off the ground, and the geometry of the bike changes in a bad way.