Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Motorcycle Beginner: 2011 Honda CBR250R Newbie Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18907-motorcycle-beginner-2011-honda-cbr250r-newbie-review.html)

Administrator 07-08-2011 02:55 PM

Motorcycle Beginner: 2011 Honda CBR250R Newbie Review

Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Beginner: 2011 Honda CBR250R Newbie Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

12er 07-08-2011 05:18 PM

Nice little write up, I'd need a Fez to ride that thing.

Wayne.C1972 07-08-2011 06:53 PM

Hello Dennis,
I have thoroughly enjoyed reader your series of articles. It took me back to allot of the same feeling and experiences I had when I first got mauled by the bug in the summer of 09. And like you I also took the class which was my first experience riding a motorcycle ever. But unlike you I passed my first time. ;-)
In June of 2010, I got my first bike. In November of 2010 and got my second. I say all of that to say we welcome you to the world of motorcycling. You have done an excellent job from the prospective of the NEWBIE. The funny thing is I find it hard to articulate to others experience of riding. So when people ask what does it feel like? I just tell people “take the class, if you get it, you’ll get it, if you don’t, then you won’t.” As it is plain to see you have got it. Good Luck to you. Enjoy 2 wheeling and keep the rubber side down.

thm4855 07-09-2011 06:19 AM

unprotected

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 262796)
Original Article:

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Beginner: 2011 Honda CBR250R Newbie Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

" a minimum boots that covered the ankle. " ? is this what you write about protection? what if you turn over and your foot/feet are under the exhaustpipes, and you are not able or it takes some time before anybody can help you before the heat burn your legs so you are destroyed for life. be more serious when you write advices to others.
always wear longshafted leather motorcycleboots when you are driving, and dont wear these synthetic **** - the burn your legs like napalm.
ThM - Molde, Norway ( mc-driver for 40years, which also incudes accidents, and by accidents we have experiences )

newagetwotone 07-09-2011 06:39 AM

I'm guessing THM missed that part of English class where you learn that words have different meanings.

Minimal =/= optimal

On top of that half the people you see starting out are in wife beaters, khaki shorts and chuck taylors. Not to mention, unless you are talking about armored boots, "Motorcycle boots" don't do jack crap for you over other leather boots except give for give the manufacturers a ton of extra money because it says "Motorcycle" on it. A pair of jump boots will do just as well and cost half as much:

Military Style Steel Toe Combat or Jump Boots

Something wrong with those? Because, personally? I'd rather see people starting off riding in a pair of cheap jump boots a decent jacket and helmet than say "Screw it I can't afford it!" Because the helmet, jacket and boots are going to cost them $800. Let alone gloves, armored pants, ect. The fact is that going down is going to hurt regardless.

By the way, I have never seen or heard of anyone going down and getting their leg stuck under an exhaust... I've gone down with my leg under and exhaust and pulled it out but I've never heard of anyone exhaust grappling them.

Dr_Sprocket 07-09-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 262809)

I had a pair just like these, when I was in the Air Force. The were a P.I.T.A. to break in and polish for inspection. Blech! I much preferred these:
Army Style Speedlace Combat Boots, Leather Upper

Or, these:
New Altama Black Military Combat Boots
(Of course, I know these don't offer as much protection for motorcycling.)

RSDA 07-09-2011 01:53 PM

Safety

Black helmet. Black jacket. Black motorcycle. Bad news.

Kevin_Duke 07-09-2011 02:01 PM

Great job on this series, Dennis! It's been fun watching you transform from a non-rider to a real motorcycle enthusiast!

Captain Steve 07-09-2011 08:28 PM

Dennis, I've really enjoyed your articles. Nice to see someone starting out AFTER getting a lot of good advice. I had a lot of conversations when I started out that began with "Well, what you should have done is ...."

Are you going to stick with a 250 or move up to something a bit bigger now that you have a few miles under you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 262811)
I had a pair just like these, when I was in the Air Force. The were a P.I.T.A. to break in and polish for inspection. Blech! I much preferred these:
Army Style Speedlace Combat Boots, Leather Upper

Or, these:
New Altama Black Military Combat Boots
(Of course, I know these don't offer as much protection for motorcycling.)

I use my winter boots similar to these. Walmart.com: Herman Survivors - Men's Tracer Steel-Toe Work Boots: Shoes

They're waterproof, steel toe and comfy. I wear jeans that are slightly long legged. The stay over the laces even when seated. Good enough and a no-brainer at $35.

I'm also in the black helmet, black bike, black jacket camp. My rain pants are neon yellow though.

Dennis Chung 07-09-2011 10:39 PM

Thanks for the comments folks. This project was a lot of fun, even with a couple of setbacks along the way!

@thm4855: as newagetwotone pointed out, the key word there is "minimum", but more specifically, that was a minimum as required for the riding school. But you raise a valid point, that sometimes the minimum isn't the best option. I did sprain my ankle in that fall at the riding school after the bike fell on my right foot, and better protection could have reduced the level of injury. The ankle still feels a little stiff, two months after the fact. I now wear Joe Rocket's Big Bang boots, which I rather like, by the way.

@RSDA: Wearing brighter-colored gear is a good idea. Every bit helps if you become more visible to drivers. Personally, I would have preferred the red CBR but black was what was available.

@Wayne.C1972: Thanks! A key to this series was to go through the same feelings and worries a new rider goes through.

@Captain Steve: I'm a practical person to the core, and personally feel a lot of motorcycles out there are more bike than what I really need (and more than my budget can afford when you factor in insurance!). The 250 is more than capable for me as an everyday commuter. I might want something a bit larger if I want to go on road trips. I'd be happy with a 250 for now, but I've also got my eye on something like an SV or a GS500F. Up here in Canada, Kawasaki offers a Ninja 400R, which is basically the 650 with a smaller engine. It's new for 2011 though, so I might wait a bit to see if any will be available on the used market in the next year or so.