Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
the average survivable helmetless rider has hospital bills that START at $100k.
Are we starting this again? What''s the cost of helmeted riders? $95K? Heck unhelmeted riders probably cost less in aggregate because so few survive compared to properly equipped riders.

The total medical costs of improperly insured motorcycle riders is insignificant compared to the costs incurred by automobile drivers. We talk about motorcycle wrecks like they are any more than a tiny percentage. Yet they raise huge ire and fascist demands.

If you want the roads safe you must require car drivers wear helmets. And no one below the age of 21 or above 70 may be allowed to drive either. That would clean up the majority of the wrecks.

Stick with me. I'll have us all safe in no time.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
testcase
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
... And no one below the age of 21...
That might save me from having to replace a concrete mailbox every winter...

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #23
Captain Steve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Steve- after you put down the crack pipe noodle on this- the average survivable helmetless rider has hospital bills that START at $100k. Now, it's possible that your healthcare provider will cover much of this cost, but the grim reality is that these bills are shifted to the public burden via higher cost of service from the hospital.
Your argument only holds water if you think that all safety equipment in all vehicles should be disallowed or laws repealed, as well. No seatbelts, anti-lock brakes, airbags, 5 mph bumpers, traction control and so on.
If this were a society that had the same amount of drivers we had in the 50s I might give you a break, but our streets are so full of all motorist that we quite literally have to protect us from ourselves.
Crack pipe... really?

My argument was that the government has no business trying to force people to be safe, not that they shouldn't wear helmets.

There's a difference there.

First they make us wear helmets, before you know it, they make us buy more expensive health care too.

Oh wait ...

I don't know why you think anything I said implied that I'm against safety. I'm all for safety. I just think that adults should be free to make their own safety decisions, and then be held responsible for their decisions.

I honestly think that you could repeal all of the automobile safety laws without much changing at all. Absent a huge price difference, safer cars sell better. Nobody's forcing motorcycle companies to make ABS equipped motorcycles, and yet you're seeing more and more of them coming out with it standard.. because it sells bikes.

Last edited by Captain Steve : 07-06-2011 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Finishing my response.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote