Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Cars didn't come with seat belts back then?!

I am a child of the 70's and all my parents' cars had seatbelts in them... and we always had to use them.
When I was a kid in the 60's my dad used to buy and install seat belts in all the cars he bought. They weren't standard equipment untill the late 60's

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
When I was a kid in the 60's my dad used to buy and install seat belts in all the cars he bought. They weren't standard equipment untill the late 60's
Help me out here. I've seen many classic cars (from the 40's and 50's) with seatbelts in them. Were these options at the time, or aftermarket? Or... were they required by some state's DMV to pass inspection later?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Help me out here. I've seen many classic cars (from the 40's and 50's) with seatbelts in them. Were these options at the time, or aftermarket? Or... were they required by some state's DMV to pass inspection later?

Probably options, We had mostly European cars then so maybe they were different. I remember I had to crawl under the car and put the nut on the anchor bolt and hold it with a wrench while he tightened it, this would have been mid 60's...

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
the average survivable helmetless rider has hospital bills that START at $100k.
That is only one of a host of relevant statistics available about the medical, and other, costs associated with motorcycle crashes.......and maybe not even the most significant one. If you are going to quote statistics you should not be so obviously biased; like what is the average hospital bill for a rider in a bad crash WITH a helmet.

But never mind, really, because if the economic cost were the only, or most important, motivating factor then alcohol would be outlawed again as would automobiles too. Both of those carry much MUCH higher costs to society than a piddly few motorcycle crashes.

AND none of that justifies a nanny government that gets to meddle into my personal choices. Requiring the maker of any device to design it so it is passively safer is, however, quite a different discussion.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 07-04-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
That is only one of a host of relevant statistics available about the medical, and other, costs associated with motorcycle crashes.......and maybe not even the most significant one. If you are going to quote statistics you should not be so obviously biased; like what is the average hospital bill for a rider in a bad crash WITH a helmet.

But never mind, really, because if the economic cost were the only, or most important, motivating factor then alcohol would be outlawed again as would automobiles too. Both of those carry much MUCH higher costs to society than a piddly few motorcycle crashes.

AND none of that justifies a nanny government that gets to meddle into my personal choices. Requiring the maker of any device to design it so it is passivly safer is, however, quite another discussion.
Great Caesar's Ghost, I totally agree with you.

If we're worried about hospital costs, we could ban illegal aliens too.

But, I guess we kinda did.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Great Caesar's Ghost, I totally agree with you.

If we're worried about hospital costs, we could ban illegal aliens too.

But, I guess we kinda did.

That's right, Oblama once again fearlessly looked around to find who's ass to kick then boldly shouted "all y'all illegals get the hell oughta' here...go on...git" then Messiah-like pointed the way

Pretty well solved that problem..

Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Cars didn't come with seat belts back then?!

I am a child of the 70's and all my parents' cars had seatbelts in them... and we always had to use them.
They did but at my house we tucked them under the seats as they were uncomfortable to sit on. Hell, in the 60's we used to fight to see who would get to lay out in the back window.

I've been wearing seatbelts so long now sometimes I forget I put them on and try to get out with them on. Of course that could just mean I'm getting old.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

In 1968 we drove a road called SR-528 to get to Cocoa Beach. It was 4 lanes, pretty straight, and also lead to the Kennedy Space Center. The speed limit was 80 mph. Almost nobody had seat belts, radial tires, disk brakes, etc. Somehow we survived.

Two months ago, coming back from the beach on that same road, in a car with seat belts, airbags, ABS, radial tires, even a built-in roll bar, I got pulled over for going 65 mph. The speed limit is now 55.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I remember my dad installing seatbelts in the ol' '59 Chevy station wagon. We thought they were so cool! Like being in a fighter plane.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Cars didn't come with seatbelts at all, even as an option, until the 60's.