Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
alex_romano
Registered Member

Smile Did I Make the Right Choice?

Hi Folks,

I am relatively new to motorcycling. I purchased a 2002 Suzuki Volusia 800 in the spring of 2009 when I turned 51. I did have one for a brief time in my mid twenties (honda twinstar 185 cc). I have thoroughly enjoyed this motorcycle and the new experience over the last 2 years logging about 7,000 miles. This has been an excellent beginner's bike despite its full size. I really like its looks and have been complemented on more than a few occasions. However I felt like I have outgrown this bike because I found the power-band relatively short, the transmission at times loud and clunky, and the bike lacking power generally. I am 5'7" and weight about 160 lbs.

I considered moving to a sport touring bike like the honda VFR800, but after a short ride, I felt uncertain of the change in riding position. I did not give it a fair trial. I had been after this bike for a while. In the end, I decided to stick to the cruiser class of bike with a more relaxed riding style and attitude.

I have purchased a used 2008 Suzuki C90T (1,500 cc) with 5,000 miles and nicely equiped. I am taking possession tomorrow.

Did I make the right choice?

Your opinion and thoughts are welcome. Thanks for your support.

Alex
alex_romano is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

It would probably have been better to ask this question before you bought the bike.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well you like Suzuki cruisers, so it sounds like you made the right choice.

Who gives a damn what anyone else thinks?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
alex_romano
Registered Member

Hi Robby,

I know why I bought this bike. It is a significant upgrade from what I had while keeping the same class and style of bike. Lots more power, considerably better technology all around, however same class and style of cruiser.

What did you think of the upgrade from 2002 Suzuki Volusia 800 to 2008 C90T? Would you have recommended a different alternative in a Japanese cruiser?

Alex
alex_romano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

There are other choices, but they're all personal. You'll be happy with yours.

I have an '06 M50. If I were to "upgrade", I would look at the Yamaha Warrior, Kawasaki Mean Streak, Victory Hammer, and Harley Davidson Street Rod.

But I feel no need to get a bigger cruiser. And I also have a Z750S to keep me happy.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_romano View Post
I have purchased a used 2008 Suzuki C90T (1,500 cc) with 5,000 miles and nicely equiped. I am taking possession tomorrow.

Did I make the right choice?
Only YOU can really answer that question.

It is a LOT of bike for a guy who really isn't that big.
Manuvering it around in 0 MPH situations might be a problem.
Once rolling, it should be fine.

NEVER park it in a place where you have to manually back it uphill to get out. That is, if you must park on a hill, don't have the nose dead-ended downhill. It is embarrasing to have to get help to push your bike backwards up hill in order to leave.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_romano View Post
Lots more power,
While I understand the male need for speed and power, I often wonder if that is really the ONLY reason for it. What do you figure you are gonna DO with that extra power that you couldn't do with the Suzi ??

Retorical question, I guess, since the deal is already done.

Are you going to have a Suzuki for sale soon?
Where you located?