Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
There are no known chemical processes that can store the energy required. There are none even theoretical at this time. Decades won't cut it.
You're really prepared to say that out of all the research and effort going into battery technology, nobody, no where, no how, can come up with a battery that can run a bike a couple hundred miles at normal speeds? Honestly, I met a LOT of guys just like you when we were rolling out the first microcomputers and networks. "They'll NEVER be business machines, they'll NEVER replace the mainframes, the network will NEVER handle video. Yeah...except they did.

Besides, who said a "battery" even has to be a chemical reaction? Right now "super-capacitors" are being developed that can store and discharge enormous amounts of energy, again and again, without any chemical reactions at all.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
You're really prepared to say that out of all the research and effort going into battery technology, nobody, no where, no how, can come up with a battery that can run a bike a couple hundred miles at normal speeds? Honestly, I met a LOT of guys just like you when we were rolling out the first microcomputers and networks. "They'll NEVER be business machines, they'll NEVER replace the mainframes, the network will NEVER handle video. Yeah...except they did.

Besides, who said a "battery" even has to be a chemical reaction? Right now "super-capacitors" are being developed that can store and discharge enormous amounts of energy, again and again, without any chemical reactions at all.
If it's a super-capacitor then it's not a freaking battery. Sheesh. Batteries are commonly defined as chemical storage devices that store energy by ionic bonding of the molecules. Capacitors are an entirely different thing and if they can be made workable then your charging time problems are solved. Lithium is a dead end and anyone with any technical knowledge rather than a religious faith knows that.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
If it's a super-capacitor then it's not a freaking battery. Sheesh. Batteries are commonly defined as chemical storage devices that store energy by ionic bonding of the molecules. Capacitors are an entirely different thing and if they can be made workable then your charging time problems are solved. Lithium is a dead end and anyone with any technical knowledge rather than a religious faith knows that.

Yeah but DI-lithium crystals help focus the matter-antimatter conversion in the warp core and power a freakin STARSHIP!!!

Maybe we just need to fly out to some interplanetary asteroids and dig some up....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #24
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
You drive me nuts. My whole point was that nobody knows that the next "battery" (and I used quotes for a reason) is! So lithium is dead, so what? NiCad is dead, nickle-metal/hydride is dead. SO WHAT? Electric vehicles make sense, and they will be widely used, and they will solve a lot of issues. And when they're quietly whirring past your compound at 120 mph, you'll still be explaining why it's simply impossible for them to exist.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
You drive me nuts. My whole point was that nobody knows that the next "battery" (and I used quotes for a reason) is! So lithium is dead, so what? NiCad is dead, nickle-metal/hydride is dead. SO WHAT? Electric vehicles make sense, and they will be widely used, and they will solve a lot of issues. And when they're quietly whirring past your compound at 120 mph, you'll still be explaining why it's simply impossible for them to exist.
I never said they were impossible to exist. Never. Just that the current tech makes them a joke and there's no tech on the near horizon to make them more than jokes. How many more billions of other people's money is going to be tossed away? This is why the nation is bankrupt. Everyone thinks THEIR needs are so vital that the public must be soaked to fund it.

Electric vehicles are coal powered anyhow, no matter what "batteries" they use.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steve View Post
Pure electric vehicles are a great big "meh" until battery technology evolves more. Show me 150 miles per charge and we're talking.
That's 150 miles at freeway speed with the air conditioning or heater going.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #27
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Electric vehicles are coal powered anyhow, no matter what "batteries" they use.
it's ....A FACT!
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
I never said they were impossible to exist. Never. Just that the current tech makes them a joke and there's no tech on the near horizon to make them more than jokes. How many more billions of other people's money is going to be tossed away? This is why the nation is bankrupt. Everyone thinks THEIR needs are so vital that the public must be soaked to fund it.
You talk about EVs as if the U.S. Govt is the only entity funding EV research. There are billions being invested in China, Japan and Europe.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
You talk about EVs as if the U.S. Govt is the only entity funding EV research. There are billions being invested in China, Japan and Europe.
No, not me. The fact that the US Govt throws so much money into it pretty much guarantees that the solution will come from elsewhere. Subsidizing the current crop of virtually worthless cars and bikes only guarantees that those lousy designs will be perpetuated.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Better their Governments go broke dumping cash down a volcano-hole than our Government. It is NOT the job of a National Government to "pick" winners and losers. Primarily because, they're so damn sh!tty at it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote