Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18843-2012-suzuki-v-strom-650-abs-preview.html)

Administrator 06-26-2011 10:19 AM

2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Preview

Original Article:
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 06-26-2011 11:01 AM

Suzuki needs to fire whichever PR came up with that stunt.

Dr_Sprocket 06-26-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 262208)
Suzuki needs to fire whichever PR came up with that stunt.

"Suzuki introduces the not-nearly-new, minimally-refined, and barely-touched Wee Strom."

Morbo the Destroyer 06-27-2011 08:38 AM

I'd like to see the new bike, just to imagine what might have been if they'd kept the DL1000. I've ridden several 650's and while they're nice, the performance is not adequete for my taste. "Defensive Driving" is important, and the best defense is a good offense. Being able to blast through a hole in traffic has saved my bacon more than a few times.

2doorcinema 06-27-2011 03:27 PM

Well, it looks like the new Suzuki V Storm 650 won't be a bike that anyone would buy for on-off roading. I know, I wouldn't buy it for that reason. The article On-Off Road Motorcycles that Motorcycle.com wrote in the past, doesn't list it as that kind of bike either. So, I guess Suzuki should stop trying to put it in that category, or "revolutionize" it for adapting well to both terrains.

Morbo the Destroyer 06-27-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2doorcinema (Post 262261)
Well, it looks like the new Suzuki V Storm 650 won't be a bike that anyone would buy for on-off roading. I know, I wouldn't buy it for that reason. The article On-Off Road Motorcycles that Motorcycle.com wrote in the past, doesn't list it as that kind of bike either. So, I guess Suzuki should stop trying to put it in that category, or "revolutionize" it for adapting well to both terrains.

I don't think so. The Wee is as good offroad as the GS800 or other "dual-sport" bikes. No, it's not a KLR, but with a bash plate and crashbars it can run off pavement.

Kevin_Duke 06-30-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Yeah, its design is more dirt-capable than dirt-worthy. That low front fender takes it out as a true off-roader.

In related news, we just picked up a BMW G650GS. Its GS designation implies off-roading, but it, too, has a front fender closely mounted to the tire, and its cast-aluminum wheels further distance itself from a real enduro.

Both bikes give the impression that they're ready to circumnavigate the globe, which is what most want from this kind of machine. An F800GS or Tiger 800 XC are truly capable off-road.

Morbo the Destroyer 06-30-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 262403)

In related news, we just picked up a BMW G650GS. Its GS designation implies off-roading, but it, too, has a front fender closely mounted to the tire, and its cast-aluminum wheels further distance itself from a real enduro.

I probably have this wrong, but doesn't that 650 actually have the same parallel twin 800 that's in the F800GS?

Kevin_Duke 06-30-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 262405)
I probably have this wrong, but doesn't that 650 actually have the same parallel twin 800 that's in the F800GS?

Yes, you're correct in that you have it wrong! The F650 has the 800cc Twin. The G650 is the latest single-cylinder bike, new(ish) for 2011.

seruzawa 06-30-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Ha! None of these "Adventure" bikes can handle much more than fire roads. And why would you want to? Who wants to spend $18K on a GS and then wrap it around a tree. Anything over 300lbs is a joke off road.