Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
12er
Founding Member

Luckily I just lost a few pounds and now can be respected off road.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
bmwclay
Founding Member

Smile Wee-Strom

"Yes, you're correct in that you have it wrong! The F650 has the 800cc Twin. The G650 is the latest single-cylinder bike, new(ish) for 2011."

All now made in China, I suppose. At least the Wee-Strom has an aluminium frame, unlike the 800 Triumphs.

Last edited by bmwclay : 06-30-2011 at 09:41 PM.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
12er
Founding Member

I rode the 800GS weekend before last, the snatchy throttle I dont understand how anyone could ride it off road. As Ive been lusting for that bike since it came out, it was a major disappointment. Wish the local triumph dealer will get in a demo 800, they had a few on the floor that were already pre-bought but at least I got to try one on.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I understand the disappointment with the snatchy throttle. But there are some possible fixes for that, right? One example of a possible fix: "the ecu is shutting down the engine completely when you release the throttle, and when you get back on, it fires the injectors like it was getting a restart. Adjusting the tps keeps the engine running at the idle fuel metering, so you don't have that annoying on off problem."
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I rode the 800GS weekend before last, the snatchy throttle I dont understand how anyone could ride it off road. As Ive been lusting for that bike since it came out, it was a major disappointment. Wish the local triumph dealer will get in a demo 800, they had a few on the floor that were already pre-bought but at least I got to try one on.
I think you'll like the Tiger 800. That triple engine is everything "they" say it is; super-smooth, great torque, plenty of power for any offroad or fire road type of riding.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclay View Post
"Yes, you're correct in that you have it wrong! The F650 has the 800cc Twin. The G650 is the latest single-cylinder bike, new(ish) for 2011."

All now made in China, I suppose. At least the Wee-Strom has an aluminium frame, unlike the 800 Triumphs.
The G650GS is built in Berlin, but I believe the engines are built in China. Just spent a couple of days on it. It's a great do-it-all, entry-ish-level machine that is terrific around town, surprisingly competent in the canyons, and quite passable for mild off-roading. Stay tuned for its review.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
Captain Steve
Registered Member

So it's a Wee with a few minor changes? Um, very exciting.

zzzz

My Vee riding co-worker got his hopes up for a 750-800ish cc VStrom with ABS or something. He was a bit bummed.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Luckily I just lost a few pounds and now can be respected off road.

Next thing you know you'll be doing cross-ups through the flowerbeds like some dam* scrawny kid......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #19
AlexKovnat
Registered Member

If one uses his or her bike on paved roads and seldom if ever where the pavement ends, it would be interesting to see how Suzuki's V-twin compares with their in-line 4 cylinder machines (Gixxers) of comparable total cylinder displacement.
AlexKovnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKovnat View Post
it would be interesting to see how Suzuki's V-twin compares with their in-line 4 cylinder machines (Gixxers) of comparable total cylinder displacement.
Two entirely different animals.

Except for both having 2 wheels.......and the name badge.....they have almost nothing in common.

That is true of the V-twins and I-4's of any brand.