Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
allanworks
Registered Member

Default bike wont start

my bike wont start just replaced the solenoid thinking that was it. but its not now thinking its the clutch switch is this a good place to start . i can jump the solenoid and she will start but wont do any thing by pushing start button.thought it could be the start button but its built real simple and is unlikely to fail unless spring goes bad.those are all the parts i know of in the starter/battery way did i miss anything and also the wires look good no burn spots
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
my bike wont start just replaced the solenoid thinking that was it.

thought it could be the start button but its built real simple and is unlikely to fail unless spring goes bad.
Mentioning what year and model of bike you have might be a little helpful.

You need to STOP making wild guesses. You have made two wrong ones already.....with the solenoid and with the start switch. The start switches on lots of Honda's (and maybe others) are notorious for getting the contacts a little dirty and then charred.....and then it fails.

Could also be the sidestand switch or neutral switch.......or any number of loose or broken wires.

YOu need a wiring diagram and a multi-meter.....OR.....a trip to a qualified mechanic. That might end up being less expensive than doing it yourself.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
allanworks
Registered Member

sorry 1978 kawasaki kz750 twin
Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
allanworks
Registered Member

i kinda have to replace the clutch switch now any ways.the tabs that hold it in place broke when i removed it .oh well only $20.might be the neutral switch the neutral light stoped working about a month ago.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
might be the neutral switch the neutral light stoped working about a month ago.
With the clutch pulled in and the side stand UP, it should start regardless of the neutral switch......once you get the clutch switch working again, that is.

You are just stuck in that "I'll just take another wild guess" mode, aren't you ??

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
allanworks
Registered Member

dont think theres a side stand switch on this bike looked for it and couldent find one.the neutral switch was your idea i just substantiated it .any idea how to wire it so it doesnt need the switches i would rather fix the problem but i like having backup plans
Old 06-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

If you want to bypass the safety switches you "jumper" the two inputs and close the circuit. The best way to do that depends on the connection; on my bike there's two female connectors that a short piece of wire will jump.

But don't do it. The safety switches are there for a reason, and one day one of them will help you avoid doing something stupid and expensive to your bike (like starting it in gear and lurching forward; crashing into a garage wall).

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Does it go: ">tik< GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-GUY-Ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga.... ga...... ga........" (sound of starter-button being depressed, then starter cranking engine until the battery goes flat)

Or does it go: ">tik< G....klaklaklaklaklaklak..." (sound of starter-button being depressed, starter attempting to engage, but unable to and the starter-relay contact chattering as the voltage drops-off from the flat battery)

Or is it simply: ">tik<..................." (sound of starter-button being depressed, along with sound of rider being depressed because nothing happens whatsoever)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
allanworks
Registered Member

push start button and nothing happens no click or any thing. it like the solenoid switch is not recieving the signal to actavate .i can jump the solenoid and the starter will turn over.i can push the bike and drop in second and she will start.i cant kick start it to save my life
Old 06-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Have you checked two things:

1.) The killswitch is set to "run" (and if it isn't, let-go any embarrasment because I've done it myself).

2.) The start-button contact is.... well... making contact, and sending 12V through it (from one side to the other). Could be just a dirty contact-pad. A bit of emery and it'll be good. Also, sometime little bits inside the switch can break, not let the contacts make, and sometimes things "come un-soldered" inside there. For no reason but a poor solder-job.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 06-16-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: lemme rephrase that......
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote