Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Review [Video]

Original Article:
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Review [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Review [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

It looks like Crow from MST3K.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
sliphorn
Registered Member

I don't understand the appeal. It doesn't lean, so how much fun can it be?

At least the Piaggio 3 wheeler leans like a MoFo. Speaking of, I'd love to see Piaggio make a GT version of their 3 wheeler using the 850 v-twin that's found in the Aprilia Mana.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliphorn View Post
I don't understand the appeal. It doesn't lean, so how much fun can it be?

At least the Piaggio 3 wheeler leans like a MoFo. Speaking of, I'd love to see Piaggio make a GT version of their 3 wheeler using the 850 v-twin that's found in the Aprilia Mana.
Snowmobiles don't lean either, but they are still fun to ride. Some people just like to have their head in the wind, similar to a convertible, so I can understand the appeal. As far as attention, they seem to gather loads of attention wherever they go, even moreso than a Goldwing.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default I like it.

A buddy in Ohio has one and after seeing first hand it I like it.They have submitted a patent request for a leaning version.It is a fun machine and if I had the room at the Donald Estate I would add one to the livery.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

1) Totally agree with Dr_Spocket ... Reminiscent of a snowmobile, they're tons of fun, I'm sure this could be too if the engine is capable.

2) I seen many old, infirmed or just short folks try to manage a touring bike. It's not pretty when they drop it. This allows them to participate without that fear.

I could see this thing as a great commuter vehicle. What's the MPG?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

After carefully reading the article, I have no idea if the author likes the "bike" or not. The article is a list of feature and facts, almost devoid of almost any opinion; good, bad or otherwise. Which leads me to believe he hates the fu
I don't want a wheeled WaveRunner, especially this one which is a car without doors and a roof. The little sporty one might be fun for an afternoon, the way a WaveRunner is, but like most WaveRunners, I'll bet the majority of these things wind up being garage decorations

They apparently are "legal" for Iron Butt, I've seen two of them with aux tanks, mutiple GPS, and IB stickers all over them.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Oh yeah, about all the electronannies:

What would happen if you rode it into a 270 degree, decreasing radius freeway ramp at 90 mph? Would the TCS etc. slam on the brakes until it felt like it was back in control, or would the thing drift?

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

You know that Cam-Am applied for a suspension patent that is similar to the Piaggio MP3. Your tilting Cam-Am will be on the market in 3 yrs. I have a buddy in Cartersville that is an electronics guru for Porche. He bought a 2009 RS and it working on a plug n play brain that will allow you to "dial in" traction control like most modern superbikes. He's been experimenting with the program codes for nearly a year now. He believes he'll have it ready for the market by 2013. If he succeeds you will have a tilting, drift ready, tire smoking three wheeled toy ready for the track or Deals Gap.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
bbtowns
Founding Member

I never got a sense from an article as to how this handles on a tight twisty road compared to a standard, dual sport or sportbike. I was looking at them at the dealership (morbid curiosity don't you know) and the salesman told me they would beat any bike in the store down a twisty road. When I asked him specifically if thought it would beat the GSXR1000 around the local track, he admitted no, but said it would beat any of the cruisers or touring bikes (low standard of excellence, but still better than I imagined). So what's the real story?