Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Review [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18765-2011-can-am-spyder-rt-limited-review-video.html)

Administrator 06-13-2011 05:47 PM

2011 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Review [Video]

Original Article:
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Review [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Review [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 06-13-2011 07:12 PM

It looks like Crow from MST3K.

sliphorn 06-13-2011 07:51 PM

I don't understand the appeal. It doesn't lean, so how much fun can it be?

At least the Piaggio 3 wheeler leans like a MoFo. Speaking of, I'd love to see Piaggio make a GT version of their 3 wheeler using the 850 v-twin that's found in the Aprilia Mana.

Dr_Sprocket 06-14-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliphorn (Post 261565)
I don't understand the appeal. It doesn't lean, so how much fun can it be?

At least the Piaggio 3 wheeler leans like a MoFo. Speaking of, I'd love to see Piaggio make a GT version of their 3 wheeler using the 850 v-twin that's found in the Aprilia Mana.

Snowmobiles don't lean either, but they are still fun to ride. Some people just like to have their head in the wind, similar to a convertible, so I can understand the appeal. As far as attention, they seem to gather loads of attention wherever they go, even moreso than a Goldwing.

jmdonald 06-14-2011 04:46 AM

I like it.

A buddy in Ohio has one and after seeing first hand it I like it.They have submitted a patent request for a leaning version.It is a fun machine and if I had the room at the Donald Estate I would add one to the livery.

Sir_Angus 06-14-2011 05:26 AM

1) Totally agree with Dr_Spocket ... Reminiscent of a snowmobile, they're tons of fun, I'm sure this could be too if the engine is capable.

2) I seen many old, infirmed or just short folks try to manage a touring bike. It's not pretty when they drop it. This allows them to participate without that fear.

I could see this thing as a great commuter vehicle. What's the MPG?

Morbo the Destroyer 06-14-2011 05:39 AM

After carefully reading the article, I have no idea if the author likes the "bike" or not. The article is a list of feature and facts, almost devoid of almost any opinion; good, bad or otherwise. Which leads me to believe he hates the fu
I don't want a wheeled WaveRunner, especially this one which is a car without doors and a roof. The little sporty one might be fun for an afternoon, the way a WaveRunner is, but like most WaveRunners, I'll bet the majority of these things wind up being garage decorations

They apparently are "legal" for Iron Butt, I've seen two of them with aux tanks, mutiple GPS, and IB stickers all over them.

Morbo the Destroyer 06-14-2011 05:42 AM

Oh yeah, about all the electronannies:

What would happen if you rode it into a 270 degree, decreasing radius freeway ramp at 90 mph? Would the TCS etc. slam on the brakes until it felt like it was back in control, or would the thing drift?

acecycleins 06-14-2011 08:37 AM

You know that Cam-Am applied for a suspension patent that is similar to the Piaggio MP3. Your tilting Cam-Am will be on the market in 3 yrs. I have a buddy in Cartersville that is an electronics guru for Porche. He bought a 2009 RS and it working on a plug n play brain that will allow you to "dial in" traction control like most modern superbikes. He's been experimenting with the program codes for nearly a year now. He believes he'll have it ready for the market by 2013. If he succeeds you will have a tilting, drift ready, tire smoking three wheeled toy ready for the track or Deals Gap.

bbtowns 06-14-2011 09:47 AM

I never got a sense from an article as to how this handles on a tight twisty road compared to a standard, dual sport or sportbike. I was looking at them at the dealership (morbid curiosity don't you know) and the salesman told me they would beat any bike in the store down a twisty road. When I asked him specifically if thought it would beat the GSXR1000 around the local track, he admitted no, but said it would beat any of the cruisers or touring bikes (low standard of excellence, but still better than I imagined). So what's the real story?