Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
I never got a sense from an article as to how this handles on a tight twisty road compared to a standard, dual sport or sportbike. I was looking at them at the dealership (morbid curiosity don't you know) and the salesman told me they would beat any bike in the store down a twisty road. When I asked him specifically if thought it would beat the GSXR1000 around the local track, he admitted no, but said it would beat any of the cruisers or touring bikes (low standard of excellence, but still better than I imagined). So what's the real story?
C'mon lets be fair ... Your comparison would be like asking if a minivan could beat a Ferrari. Shame on the dealer for implying it could, initially.

When compared to a Goldwing or Ultra Classic I'm sure it would be competitive on most levels. Otherwise what would be the marketability of this thing? At $30k they aren't going to sell that many units to folks that just can't manage a full touring bike.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
working on a plug n play brain that will allow you to "dial in" traction control like most modern superbikes. He's been experimenting with the program codes for nearly a year now. He believes he'll have it ready for the market by 2013. If he succeeds you will have a tilting, drift ready, tire smoking three wheeled toy ready for the track or Deals Gap.
I hope he's also working on the world's best product liability wavier, or lawyering up like his life depends on it.

There's a reason Can-Am puts all those nanny-bots on their toy: three wheels are inherently unstable compared to four or even two wheels. Remember all those neat 3-wheelers everybody had in the '70s? The manufacturers got their asses sued to the brink of bankruptcy because the vehicles were incredibly easy to highside. The fact that the two wheels are in front mitigates the issue, but it doesn't make it go away.

I'm not saying an unrestricted RT wouldn't be a blast to ride; it would. But you'd better have some serious talent and a whole lot of seat time before you start ripping up the twisties on one.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

I really don't get the fascination with this device. It's not a motorcycle yet gets loads of exposure on motorcycle sites. I can see why people want them but..... maybe we need to start testing wave runners and four-wheelers on MO too! How about a section on cutlery?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

Ready for me to debunk you, Ken. The T-Rex will hold 1.3g. The Morgan has built 3 wheel vehicles for decades. Simply, if the Spyder is released with the tilt suspension it could be the first bike/trike in production form that can hold 1g without modification.
You cannot compare a three wheeled puffy tire machine that drives both rear tires to this set-up. They are apples and oranges in this case.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
... three wheels are inherently unstable compared to four or even two wheels.
I just had a flashback to highschool algebra ... 3 points define a plane. Purportedly, the most stable configuration (in theory).

If memory serves, 3-wheeled ATVs suffered from instability, but with so many factors involved like: oversized wheels, soft suspension, rider error, etc ... Maybe it was doomed to failure.

Reversing that triangle may just have solved a lot of those issues and mitigated the worst (rider error).
Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
12er
Founding Member

The old 3 Wheelers were fun BECAUSE they would fling you off. You'd get to ride like a road racer / side car monkey on the dirt, hanging off as far as you could. At least thats what I enjoyed most on my buddies 200x or 250r. Quads werent as much fun due to the stability. I do remember floating a 110 across a pond once when I was a wee lad. As for these things I can only see one use, and thats getting Matt back out on the road. Otherwise, I'll happily pass.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Ready for me to debunk you, Ken. The T-Rex will hold 1.3g. The Morgan has built 3 wheel vehicles for decades. Simply, if the Spyder is released with the tilt suspension it could be the first bike/trike in production form that can hold 1g without modification.
You cannot compare a three wheeled puffy tire machine that drives both rear tires to this set-up. They are apples and oranges in this case.
If you're going to debunk me, at least buy me a few drinks first.

Ok, ok, the "Banana Splits" trikes aren't the same, but I maintain that three wheelers are more likely to flip than a car. A bike has an assumed instability that you acknowledge when you buy it. Again, Can-Am put those nannies on there for a reason, and I think it's liability.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
acecycleins
Founding Member

The only reason the "nannies" are there is becasue they wanted to attract the non-motorcycle rider with something that seems more stable and easier to control.
I'd wager that if you talked to an engineer in the company they could have easily delivered a trike for us riders without all the eletronics.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #19
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
C'mon lets be fair ... Your comparison would be like asking if a minivan could beat a Ferrari. Shame on the dealer for implying it could, initially.

When compared to a Goldwing or Ultra Classic I'm sure it would be competitive on most levels. Otherwise what would be the marketability of this thing? At $30k they aren't going to sell that many units to folks that just can't manage a full touring bike.
BOOM! There's your next comparo: Goldwing vs. Spyder, touring edition. Just a swing by a track for some lap times (all in the name of quality journalism, you know) and there you have it!

Seriously, that's a great suggestion.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
I never got a sense from an article as to how this handles on a tight twisty road compared to a standard, dual sport or sportbike. I was looking at them at the dealership (morbid curiosity don't you know) and the salesman told me they would beat any bike in the store down a twisty road. When I asked him specifically if thought it would beat the GSXR1000 around the local track, he admitted no, but said it would beat any of the cruisers or touring bikes (low standard of excellence, but still better than I imagined). So what's the real story?
A well-ridden Gold Wing will destroy any Spyder down a twisty road. But a Spyder will do better thru a corner sprinkled with gravel mid-corner.

A Gold Wing vs Spyder, eh...?