Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Jager87
Registered Member

Talking Trying to find out what motorcycle to get...

My name is Alisa, I'm a 24 year old female. I have riding bicycles my whole life to get places, never driven before. I plan on getting a moped permit until I'm trained and ready to buy a motorcycle. I just don't know what type to get. My price range for a used motorcycle is about $1,100. I want one that is good for transportation, good for on and off road, has at least 60 miles per gallon, and can fit 2 people. I'm not picky though. I don't need an off road one, I'm just desperate to start riding. I'm a bike nerd and I hear that motorcycles have more than 60 miles per gallon (depending on what type you get). I was just wondering what makes and models are recommended.
Jager87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

For $1,100 your options are pretty limited. You might find a small-displacement (250cc) cruiser style bike, used, for that amount.

Go to this site and use the search engine to locate bikes in your area and in your price range.

Motorcycles - Scooters, Dirt Bikes, Choppers, Sport Bikes, and Other Motorcycles for Sale - Cycle Trader.com

You can get at least some idea of what's out there. There's also Craigslist and EBay, but they aren't as easy to search.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Alisa, if you are riding on surface streets and have no real desire to go over travel faster than say 40 mph then I suggest a nice little used Honda Spree or Yamaha Zuma. If you must travel faster than that then Ken's suggestion is good but your budget will increase like he said.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager87 View Post
I plan on getting a moped permit until I'm trained and ready to buy a motorcycle.
I think you are getting WAY ahead of yourself.

At this point, you need to get a full drivers license.
There may be some places that issue "scooter only" licenses but I don't know where.

THEN......much later.....you can come back to deciding if you need something bigger than a moped or scooter and what kind.
For instance, many that get 60 MPG or more really aren't very safe for 2 people........and you need a LOT of experience with your machine before you even consider taking on a passenger.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
At this point, you need to get a full drivers license.
There may be some places that issue "scooter only" licenses but I don't know where.
I dunno, there's something pure and beautiful about a woman who has never been caged. Why not start right and forget the damn car?

Agreed on the passenger. Don't even think about riding 2-up for quite a while.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
carel78
Registered Member

Well go head with Honda it is really a very good one an comfortable in driving as well.
carel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
ClassicRider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager87 View Post
My name is Alisa, I'm a 24 year old female. I have riding bicycles my whole life to get places, never driven before.
If you have a good teacher and an appropriately sized motorcycle this should not be a problem.
Quote:
I plan on getting a moped permit until I'm trained and ready to buy a motorcycle.
It would be better to ride a motorcycle. Mopeds are not going to give you the experience you need to progress. The 125cc class is just about right for a new rider.
Quote:
I just don't know what type to get. My price range for a used motorcycle is about $1,100.
First of all I recommend you buy a MOTORCYCLE, not a motorized chair. The difference is that a motorcycle has the correct positioning of footpegs so that you can use all 7 control points on the motorcycle, not just 3. A motorized chair puts the footpegs forward of the center of gravity which can result in a loss of control, particularly on slightly rippled roads. You might not find much problem with small motorcycles, but as they get larger their quality of ride deteriorates in many cases. "American" style motorcycles lack quality suspension and have poor handling. If you read a few road tests you'll find that many US motorcycles will "step out" on you if you hit the small ripples in the road.

This is also why a Moped is not recommended. Mopeds tend to have small wheels and tires. If you run over cracks, rails or other road features this could set up a wobble. The small tire sections of mopeds and light motorcycles are much more likely to setup a wobble. Moped and Scooter wheel diameters make them much more susceptible to road problems.

Learning to read the road at all times is a prime requirement to learning to ride a motorcycle. Riding is NOT a casual experience (if you want to live). The rider can't turn off his/her mind and ride around. Wet leaves, cut grass, seams in the pavement, steel grating, debris in the road, must all be watched for constantly. If you don't have excellent vision you shouldn't be considering riding a motorcycle.

Quote:
I want one that is good for transportation, good for on and off road,
You're not likely to find this. For one thing, to be good off road you must have suitable off road tires. These are NOT safe to ride on road.

Quote:
has at least 60 miles per gallon, and can fit 2 people. I'm not picky though. I don't need an off road one, I'm just desperate to start riding. I'm a bike nerd and I hear that motorcycles have more than 60 miles per gallon (depending on what type you get). I was just wondering what makes and models are recommended.
Everybody is a motorcycling fan until they've done it for a while. If you learn well, you should last long enough to get good. You're the right age so your reflexes should be up to the speed needed. The real test is intelligence. That's where the many failures occur.

Any person who thinks that motorcycling is a casual sport that has little physical requirements is sadly misinformed. You can lose as much as ten pounds (water) in a two hour ride. It's a physically and mentally demanding sport for someone who is physically and mentally fit, not an activity for poseurs.
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Dude, your comment is so muddy with inaccuracies I wonder if you are really advocating riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRider View Post
If you have a good teacher and an appropriately sized motorcycle this should not be a problem.

It would be better to ride a motorcycle. Mopeds are not going to give you the experience you need to progress. The 125cc class is just about right for a new rider.
For the sake of being fair these statements are generally correct. Although, riding a moped is not completely devoid of benefits. New riders can get a feel for riding something motorized by scooting around their neighborhood.

Quote:
First of all I recommend you buy a MOTORCYCLE, not a motorized chair.
What the heck is a motorized chair? Are you talking about a powered wheelchair? Or is that supposed to be some funny slang term for a scooter?

Quote:
You might not find much problem with small motorcycles, but as they get larger their quality of ride deteriorates in many cases. "American" style motorcycles lack quality suspension and have poor handling. If you read a few road tests you'll find that many US motorcycles will "step out" on you if you hit the small ripples in the road.
This is just an idiotic statement & I defy you to post any evidence to support your claim.

Quote:
If you don't have excellent vision you shouldn't be considering riding a motorcycle.
Another moronic statement ... Motorcycles don't require any better vision than cars. They do require a heightened awareness that car drivers are often lacking, but for anyone that's ever learned advanced driving skills, such as defensive or etc, they'll have an advantage over other new riders.

Quote:
You can lose as much as ten pounds (water) in a two hour ride. It's a physically and mentally demanding sport for someone who is physically and mentally fit, not an activity for poseurs.
It's physically impossible to lose 10 pounds of anything from your body within 2 hours without surgury. If your point was to say dehydration is a factor that all riders should be aware of, then you're right. BUT 10 pounds in 2 hours?! Where are you riding the surface of the sun?

Quote:
It's a physically and mentally demanding sport for someone who is physically and mentally fit, not an activity for poseurs.
Yes, motorcycling is more physically & mentally demanding than cars, but it certainly doesn't require someone to be above average in either case. In fact, I personally know several physically disabled folks that ride regularly.

Quote:
The real test is intelligence. That's where the many failures occur.
I couldn't agree more & I'm citing your post as a prime example of a failure.

Last edited by Sir_Angus : 06-13-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Sir_Angus is offline   Reply With Quote