Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Honda Gold Wing Review [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18722-2012-honda-gold-wing-review-video.html)

Administrator 06-06-2011 09:21 AM

2012 Honda Gold Wing Review [Video]

Original Article:
2012 Honda Gold Wing Review [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Honda Gold Wing Review [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Dr_Sprocket 06-06-2011 03:05 PM

There's little doubt that the vernerable Gold Wing is the grand daddy of all luxo tourers! However... at nearly $30,000 per, it's hard to justify that kind of coin on a bike. Heck! My new car cost roughly the same.

A Star Ride 06-06-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 261172)
There's little doubt that the vernerable Gold Wing is the grand daddy of all luxo tourers! However... at nearly $30,000 per, it's hard to justify that kind of coin on a bike. Heck! My new car cost roughly the same.

You'd rather buy one from Orange County with a hardtail, minimal lighting, no turn signals, solo seat & an awesome paintjob.
Do they still get $30+ for their bikes now that the market is flooded with choppers with $60K "invested" sacrificed for $12? It's only an investment if you get a return on your money, otherwise it is a learning experience.

Kevin_Duke 06-06-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 261172)

Well, if you don't need an airbag, the Wing starts at $23K, which is a whole lotta bike for that money.

trenttheuncatchable 06-07-2011 09:32 PM

That Wing costs more than my Element. Maybe because its engine has six cylinders and my Element's only has four? Hehe :)

Morbo the Destroyer 06-08-2011 05:03 AM

Who else but Mr. Duke would "Wheelie the Wing?" I'm sure that shot is going to wind up on some Honda desktops!

I rode a Goldwing a few years ago. If ever there was a piston engine that performed like a gas turbine, that was the one. It even sounded like a muffled jet; just a whoosh of power that shoved you back in the seat.

How old do you have to be to buy one of these? Is proof of AARP memebership required?

seruzawa 06-08-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 261249)

How old do you have to be to buy one of these? Is proof of AARP memebership required?

One foot in the grave will do.

The test conveniently left out the 900-933lb curb weight (according to the Honda website. Now, that's nearly half a ton and that's unloaded and that's a lot of weight for old guys to deal with. The 700lb weight of my GL1100 was too much. I can't imagine wheeling a 900lb bike around the garage.

I'd rather have a Miata.

Kevin_Duke 06-08-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 261251)
One foot in the grave will do.

The test conveniently left out the 900-933lb curb weight (according to the Honda website. Now, that's nearly half a ton and that's unloaded and that's a lot of weight for old guys to deal with. The 700lb weight of my GL1100 was too much. I can't imagine wheeling a 900lb bike around the garage.

I'd rather have a Miata.

"Conveniently left out"? You must've stopped reading halfway through the first paragraph. :)

A Miata can't do 12-sec quarter-miles!

seruzawa 06-09-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 261283)

True, but it handles better.

The_AirHawk 06-09-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 261283)
"Conveniently left out"? You must've stopped reading halfway through the first paragraph. :)

With, or without the turbo kit?

;)