Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   help oil leaking around exhaust pipe/engine (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18717-help-oil-leaking-around-exhaust-pipe-engine.html)

Easy Rider 2 06-10-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 261373)
You need to stop focusing on the oil. Theoretically, you never need to change the oil so long as you use good quality filters & change them @ proper intervals. I'm not advocating that you do this.

Well, why not ?? :p

Actually that is stretching a "theory" a little too far.
While the base petroleum stock might not "wear out", many of the additives do......and acids will build up, just for one thing.

Sir_Angus 06-10-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 261377)
Well, why not ?? :p

Actually that is stretching a "theory" a little too far.
While the base petroleum stock might not "wear out", many of the additives do......and acids will build up, just for one thing.

Yeah, and in practice the viscosity of the oil reduces over time, as well. This wear synthetics have benefitted but if good ol' fashion motor oil is changed regulary it should never be an issue.

Nothings worse than having your astroglide turn into superglue! :o

carel78 06-11-2011 01:18 PM

Actually even i am facing a similar problem and i don't know much on it as well.

Sir_Angus 06-13-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carel78 (Post 261439)
Actually even i am facing a similar problem and i don't know much on it as well.

EVEN YOU????

Same advice stands regardless of make/model/year ... Use the weight/grade oil manufacturer suggests, change it regularly & install a good quality filter.

I'm just felling snarky today ... There's no explaining it!

allanworks 06-15-2011 05:37 PM

replaced gasket now she doesnt leak .she doesnt smoke eather thank god. on the old gasket she looked like she was pinched in the corner.

Easy Rider 2 06-15-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanworks (Post 261684)
replaced gasket now she doesnt leak .she doesnt smoke eather thank god. on the old gasket she looked like she was pinched in the corner.

What the hell, Alan ??

In another thread, you are telling us that this same bike won't start.

How do you know it doesn't leak......and doesn't smoke.....if it won't run ??? It's pretty obvious that your oil problem won't show up with the bike just sitting there.

Are you just jerking us around ??

allanworks 06-16-2011 02:34 PM

ok you need to understand time line first neutral light stoped working .a week and a half later she started leaking i fixed the leak and forgot to post that i fixed the problem.ran it for a couple days then the starting issue happened she will still start if i push her and drop into second.well when you buy a bike this old and you know little to nothing about i guess this is what happens you get problems.i bought the bike expecting to drop it or something simular and didnt want to much money into it well.turns out im really carefull with the bike not somuch as a miss step with her she just giving me problems on her own