Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #21
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
I feel like I should disagee with something you said there............but I really can't.

Except that there really is no good reason NOT to put on a new exhaust gasket......unless a bolt gets broken in the process. That will push the oil out the back and make things less messy in general. And make it less likely that the rider will be whiffing exhaust fumes too.
You're just in one of those moods today, eh?

If Allen already bought the exhaust manifold gasket AND the bolts aren't frozen ... Replacing them couldn't hurt.

Allen - just be very careful not to round-off the head or break the stud. If you do either, it'll be a costly mistake without the right tools onhand.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #22
allanworks
Registered Member

im gona replace the exhaust gasket.and drive her till she dies.is auto oil safe to use in bikes im thinking about changing back to auto oil in the next oil change.somebody told me mobile one full synthetic is a good one to use in bikes .and has any one used engine sealer on a bike to stop oil leaks.thinking it might replace the stuff that the oil change removed.
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Avoid "engine sealers" and snake-oil-additives like the plague - in ANY engine. (slick 50, Rev-up, whateverthehell)

Use auto oil that does NOT have "Energy Conserving" in the API circle on the label, and you should be fine. Mobil 1 15w50 is a fav of mine.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

No, don't use auto oil as it lacks the additives needed in the tranny and has agents that will mess up the clutch. You can get motorcycle specific Castrol at Autozone pretty cheap. Don't use synthetic either in old motorcycles. Leaks very often get worse in old bikes if you switch to synthetics.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
and has any one used engine sealer on a bike to stop oil leaks.thinking it might replace the stuff that the oil change removed.
NO, you are overthinking this.....way over.

It is a waste of money putting synthetic oil in an engine that is already worn enough that the seals or rings are leaking.

If you pick the wrong car oil, your clutch might start slipping too.

I have always wondered if "High Mileage" car oils would help the seals in an older bike or not.......but never heard anybody who has tried it.
Want to be a guinea pig ???

My real suggestion is to stick with the cheapest bike oil you can find.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #26
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

You gotta love how we never come to a concensus on anything @ MO. LOL

NEVER EVER use synthetic oil (blended, full or otherwise) in a worn or high-mileage engine. It'll leak like a sieve. Besides being a waste of money in your case, it'll make everything ten times worse!

ER2 hit it on the head .... Just use whatever the manufacturer recommends in the prescribed weight.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Use what you want that doesn't cause the clutch to slip - the damn thing's old-enough it won't matter.

The WORST oil nowadays is better than the best "Racing Grade" when the bike was new.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #28
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'll agree for the sake of not arguing. Synthetics are a waste on an older engine, and I'm not sold on them regardless. Only 1 out of 1000 motorcycles (and that's a fact because you just read it online) reaches it's working life. I think using synthetic oil in a bike is a foolish. If the motor fails, it is more likely due to neglect, not because the oil wasn't good enough (assuming you used the right oil& changed it at proper intervals, or even a little late)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #29
allanworks
Registered Member

think ill try quaker state high milage next time.the motorcycle oil in it now seems to make the tranny make more noise 20w50 that was one of the choices in the book i figured age and color of old oil that it would have been the best bet .
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #30
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

You need to stop focusing on the oil. Theoretically, you never need to change the oil so long as you use good quality filters & change them @ proper intervals. I'm not advocating that you do this.

But my point is the bike will be fine running the $1 per qt oil vs the $4 per qt. Just use a good filter and IF you feel the need to spend extra $$ somewhere ... The filter is the place to do it.