Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   help oil leaking around exhaust pipe/engine (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18717-help-oil-leaking-around-exhaust-pipe-engine.html)

allanworks 06-06-2011 07:02 AM

the header bolts are no problem i like to use pb blaster that stuff is a mirical in a can.im gona replace the gasket and watch the oil.learn to ride on it then maby pull the motor and throw it in a go cart or just resell it for what i paid somebody out there will want to restore it.

pushrod 06-06-2011 07:50 AM

Are you sure it's oil?

The way your carbs are, you might be running REALLY RICH, and you are seeing the unburned fuel drooling out the exhaust ports.

Are your headers glowing when you ride the bike?

allanworks 06-06-2011 09:30 AM

no there not glowing.but could be a mix of the two oil and gas .the bike hasnt been running in a year when i bought it .she ran good when we started her thoe for the firsrt time.

sarnali2 06-06-2011 10:27 AM

Are you sure it's not oil leaking from the valve cover gasket down onto the exhaust ports? That would be more likely than having it leak out of the exhaust ports....

Morbo the Destroyer 06-06-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 261151)
Are you sure it's not oil leaking from the valve cover gasket down onto the exhaust ports? That would be more likely than having it leak out of the exhaust ports....

That's what I was thinking. It would take a HELL of a lot of oil to have enough in the cylinder to escape combustion and then leak out.

Or 's it's actually a mix of gas and carbon, which could create an oily residue.

sarnali2 06-06-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 261153)
That's what I was thinking. It would take a HELL of a lot of oil to have enough in the cylinder to escape combustion and then leak out.

Or 's it's actually a mix of gas and carbon, which could create an oily residue.

An oily residue until it started, then a baked on mess....

Easy Rider 2 06-06-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 261153)
It would take a HELL of a lot of oil to have enough in the cylinder to escape combustion and then leak out.

No, actually it doesn't.

Oil lost via "excess" leakage past the rings or valve guide seals usually is NOT all burned and escapes out the exhaust.......a drop or two at a time.

It is VERY common on older engines.
Much more so than raw gas escaping that way.

allanworks 06-08-2011 10:31 PM

well actually im certain its oil i smelled it and tasted it yesterday .dont ask why or how i know the taste of oil but i do.i changed the oil the day before it started happening it was as black as oil can get.think it could have possably been auto oil.manual said 4.2letters and thats what i put in i hope maby at most half a cup to much.i bought gaskets for the header will replace it soon.and its coming out exhaust im 100% shure on that sprayed carb cleaner on the area to clean it then rode around the block and the oil was on the exhaust again no where else.thinking exhaust valve is leaking it doesnt smoke now well se when i replace header gasket if she doesnt ill ride her till shes done.

Sir_Angus 06-09-2011 05:17 AM

Well there's your problem ... Old engines are like a hard night of drinking. Everything is fine IF you maintain status quo, but the minute you change something (e.g. change the oil, break the seal, etc) all hell breaks loose and you spend a lot more time trying to recover. New motor oil (regardless of its intended purpose) is formulated differently than the bygone days.

When you changed the oil, despite being a good maintenance procedure, the new oil was thinner and full of detergents to help clean out deposits in the engine. Some of those deposits were actually doing you some good by helping to seal the engine in places of typical wear (i.e. rings, valve guides). So, now you have leaks, and some of these might get plugged up again. More likely, you'll just have an old bike that "mark its spot" whenever parked.

Stop wasting you money on new gaskets and other parts for this "starter" bike. Just do enough to keep it safe & road legal, check the oil level religiously, fill it with gas, & ride the crap out of it until it either dies or you trade up.

Easy Rider 2 06-09-2011 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 261292)
Stop wasting you money on new gaskets and other parts for this "starter" bike.

I feel like I should disagee with something you said there............but I really can't. ;-)

Except that there really is no good reason NOT to put on a new exhaust gasket......unless a bolt gets broken in the process. That will push the oil out the back and make things less messy in general. And make it less likely that the rider will be whiffing exhaust fumes too.