Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Supersport Shootout - Street [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18709-2011-supersport-shootout-street-video.html)

Administrator 06-02-2011 09:06 PM

2011 Supersport Shootout - Street [Video]

Original Article:
2011 Supersport Shootout - Street [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2011 Supersport Shootout - Street [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Trooper86 06-03-2011 02:46 PM

The yamaha's torque curve on the graph looks like a roller coaster.... lol

Kevin_Duke 06-04-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trooper86 (Post 261060)
The yamaha's torque curve on the graph looks like a roller coaster.... lol

Feels like one, too!

seruzawa 06-04-2011 05:24 AM

Looks like the power output of the 600s, at least in raw numbers, hasn't changed substantially in a number of years.

slags 06-04-2011 06:41 AM

What about the Daytona?

Kevin_Duke 06-04-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 261075)
Looks like the power output of the 600s, at least in raw numbers, hasn't changed substantially in a number of years.

Yeah, the EPA's sound restrictions has been interrupting the march of increasing power levels. Unfo, what that does is encourage the purchase of loud aftermarket exhaust systems - the exact opposite of what the sound regs are supposed to do.

Triumph's 675R is new this year but costs $13K, putting it in a different realm from the 600s. You'll see that in our upcoming OddBall Supersport shootout, along with the Gixxer 750 and Duc 848 EVO.

Duken4evr 06-05-2011 06:45 AM

My guess is the upcoming shootout will find that the stalwart GSXR750 will remain the everyman's best bang for the buck balanced kick butt sportbike. It has been for years.

In this test the Kawasaki really does shine. Looking at the dyno charts, the Ninja's curve looks the smoothest and it has the most top end. No doubt it is a great motor.

It is funny though. No way around it. The average young American male has gotten larger and this class of bike has gotten tiny. I see the average 220 pound dude in his baggies riding one of these little screamers (with the inevitably loud MotoGP inspired shorty can) on the freeway and can't help but think he looks and sounds utterly ridiculous - like a big monkey riding a tiny wind up toy!

On the other hand, there is a rather hot looking girl in my office with a GXR600. Judging the brief views of her leaving the lot and gingerly going up the street, she can't ride for diddly, but she is petite, has proper and stylish gear, and looks great on her motorcycle. I always glance at it so see if there is crash damage. The ongoing miracle after 1 year now is that there is none, to date. My fingers are crossed for her. :)

Yamahanian 06-05-2011 09:19 AM

No Mention of Lousy Mirrors???

I ride a 2009 ZX6R, both on the street and for track days at VIR with NESBA. On the track mirrors obviously do not matter. The street, however, is a different story. The only thing I want Kawasaki to change on the ZX (other than perhaps adding traction and launch control) is better mirrors so I can see behind me!!!

Kevin_Duke 06-05-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 261108)
My guess is the upcoming shootout will find that the stalwart GSXR750 will remain the everyman's best bang for the buck balanced kick butt sportbike. It has been for years.

Swapped the Gixxer 6 for the 750 a few days ago. The extra low-end power really makes stoplight launches much easier. For my money, the $400 extra it costs over the 600 is the deal of the century!

Kevin_Duke 06-05-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamahanian (Post 261110)
I ride a 2009 ZX6R, both on the street and for track days at VIR with NESBA. On the track mirrors obviously do not matter. The street, however, is a different story. The only thing I want Kawasaki to change on the ZX (other than perhaps adding traction and launch control) is better mirrors so I can see behind me!!!

Elbows block the view from all the mirrors in this test.

Mirror extenders can greatly help: http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/ga..._5500.jpg.html