Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
allanworks
Registered Member

Default diesel motorcycles would you buy one?

would you buy a diesel motor cycle.there saposed to get about 100mpg and do close to 100mph.the bike is probably going to be heavier due to the diesel engine and probably vibrate more.
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

The military has been running a diesel version of the KLR 650 for years. An Indian company is selling a similar bike, which is covered in a recent Motorcycle.com article.

I'm not sure motorcycles are a good application for diesel technology. They're great for torque, fuel economy, durability, and maintenance. But they're heavy and don't have the high HP to weight ratios gas bikes do. They'll probably be used primarily for off-road riding or adventure touring where the range and durability are more important than power and weight.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've already owned two Harleys!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You can convert your motorcycle to Flex Fuel, too: E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

If modern diesel technology is used including a turbo, like on a VW TDI, I do see diesels as viable. A turbo increaes the horsepower substantially without harming the fuel economy drastically like in a gas engine. For example a friend's VW Golf TDI is pretty peppy and still gets about 50mpg. This tech could be applied to bikes if a manufacturer thought people would by the bikes.

I know that motorcyclists are looked on as rebel types by the unwashed masses but actually they tend to be extremely conservative in what they will accept at purchase time.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If modern diesel technology is used including a turbo, like on a VW TDI, I do see diesels as viable. A turbo increaes the horsepower substantially without harming the fuel economy drastically like in a gas engine. For example a friend's VW Golf TDI is pretty peppy and still gets about 50mpg. This tech could be applied to bikes if a manufacturer thought people would by the bikes.

I know that motorcyclists are looked on as rebel types by the unwashed masses but actually they tend to be extremely conservative in what they will accept at purchase time.
It would happen in Europe first if it happens at all. Their gas taxes make diesel more viable.

Unless it was a cruiser or scooter, I can't imagine wanting a diesel bike. 100 mpg isn't important since I don't commute. Both my bikes get in the low 40s and that's fine with me.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
allanworks
Registered Member

i was wondering what other peoples position was on diesel motorcycles.i also think if they lower the weight and ad a turbo to it it might just work.but i think the future is the hydrogen motorcycle like the env it looks like a praying mantis but is light and fast well the newer model is .what do you think about them?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
i was wondering what other peoples position was on diesel motorcycles.i also think if they lower the weight and ad a turbo to it it might just work.but i think the future is the hydrogen motorcycle like the env it looks like a praying mantis but is light and fast well the newer model is .what do you think about them?
Haha! Hydrogen, sez he! Pure Hydrogen is quite-possibly THE MOST inefficient fuel out there. Worse than that Ethanol crap!

It's hard to handle, has a low energy-density (there's more Hydrogen in a gallon of Gasoline than there is in a gallon of Liquid Hydrogen.....). Because it binds with nearly everything (much like Oxygen) it's hard as hell to get it OUT of anything you find it in (costs more in energy to crack it out of Nat Gas than you get back from it - and that's the most-efficient, easiest source) - and once you've done that, it won't stay where you put it for very long (the containment-vessels are just big colanders)...
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
allanworks
Registered Member

what i see in the future is a motorcycle that cans suck moister out of the air split it burn it and go at the same time .i know that sounds crazy but it could be possable .maby not in a deasert but still possable in the future.or maby they can creat a photovaltaic paint that is 90+ efficiant and all we do is paint our motorcycles with this stuff and it powers a electric motor that moves your bike. we all prety much ride on sunny days anyways i see that working well in the future
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm going to file a complaint. I did not get my crack today and apparently everyone else did. I'm with Buzz, I get 40-45 MPG and I'm happy with that. I fill the tank $12 and ride for 4 hours. I'm piss poor broke & can afford that. It's cheaper then going to the movies, playing golf, bowling or most any other recreation. The idea we can run a bike off thin air or power it from it's own paintjob is not something we'll see in our lifetimes. Pass the crackpipe please.