Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #31
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
"Manufacturers purposely detune diesels so that they don't outperform the gas variations for marketing reasons."

WHAT!?!? You can't be serious!

I just watched 24 Hours of Le Mans this weekend. There was nothing detuned about the diesel Peugots and Audis in the race.
Right those are race-prepped cars. Obviously, I was referring to the stock consumer variations.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
Right those are race-prepped cars. Obviously, I was referring to the stock consumer variations.
You've got evidence of this "detuning?"

The BMW 3 series diesel actually hauls ass but still doesn't have the top end hit of the gas version.

A diesel engine doesn't rev like a gas engine. You get lots of torque but not the HP.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #33
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

You and I both know there's no evidence that will satisfy the folks here ...

However, my personal experience, many reviews/opinions of industry experts over the years, and precedents of automakers detuning motors for all sorts of reasons.

Lets not get mired nitpicking every word. The point is diesel engines are already better than most know, but they need to be fully realized in the auto industry (particularly in the US).
Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #34
allanworks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
My f*cking eyes ache reading your post Allen, having the spelling skills of a 9 year old seriously dilutes your argument.....
so f***ing what if you dont like how i spell.i dont care to search and type every word correctly.its kinda funny that im classed border line genius with a 135 in a state given iq test .they gave me more time on the test thoe because of my adhd.but that doesnt matter i just dont care what others thank of me or anything i do.im not here to impress anybody and you still can read it so kiss my a**.
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #35
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
so f***ing what if you dont like how i spell.i dont care to search and type every word correctly.its kinda funny that im classed border line genius with a 135 in a state given iq test .they gave me more time on the test thoe because of my adhd.but that doesnt matter i just dont care what others thank of me or anything i do.im not here to impress anybody and you still can read it so kiss my a**.
"IQ Test" numbers mean D!ck-all out here in "Real World". Seriously.

I tested 162 in the 5th-grade. I was given the test because the school officials couldn't figure-out what was "wrong" with me. Turns out, I was just bored.

I'm still an Idiot though. Just ask KPau...erm, I mean "ER2".....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 06-13-2011 at 06:36 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
You and I both know there's no evidence that will satisfy the folks here ...

However, my personal experience, many reviews/opinions of industry experts over the years, and precedents of automakers detuning motors for all sorts of reasons.

Lets not get mired nitpicking every word. The point is diesel engines are already better than most know, but they need to be fully realized in the auto industry (particularly in the US).
Well forgive me for questioning something "we all know."

I've been a car nut for decades and have read plenty of industry rags throughout the years but can't say I know about any diesel "detuning."

I agree diesels are much better than they were in year's past. They are popular in Europe because the market got distorted due to a huge gasoline tax.

Most of our refineries here do not produce diesel. That's why it's so expensive. It's better for fuel economy than a stupid electric car but I'll stick with good ol' gasoline for now until I convert to HHO.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #37
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I wouldn't call it "detuning" so much as "overbuilding". You are, of course referring to things like I see at the local dragstrip; where a Dodge Cummins 3500 4X4 with a 6" "Stack" poking out of the bed behind the cab rips-down a 10.06-second 1/4-mile time (really!) with the tuner set on "Wild Mode".

Or the 2500+hp "Pulling Tractor" of Gar Willis' Team whose Beastie consumed 45-odd gallons of Diesel, 55-gallons of 60/40 Water-Methanol mix, and a large tank of Propane for every pull (running 110+ lbs of boost!).

Of course, diesel engines don't really live all that long taken to their limits. Eventually, something breaks, and breaks HARD.....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #38
allanworks
Registered Member

well every bodys an idiot at knowing certain things. well the iq/comp test i took was given by the state military when i was 16.pre recruting i think it was. now its iligal for them to do that i think.well any ways the highest you can score was a 145 i scored 135 thats in the 5 persential.only 5% of the population is as smart as i used to be .now i think ive replaced everything i used to know with science,computer teck and the ability to fix anything. the last one was a nightmare from god i tore every thing apart when i was a kid including the living room tv and put it back together working.electricuited myself quit a few times . i was taking lawn mowers apart when i was 5 and a car when i was 12.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #39
allanworks
Registered Member

does any motorcycle maker use boxer motors.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #40
A Star Ride
Registered Member

wellthenwriteaprogramthatcapitalizescorrectsspelli ngandmakesyoulookassmartasyouare