Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #21
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
i cant tell if your just bieng condensending or joking around.you cant belive that there wont be any breakthrews in your life time.
Always joking around Allan. Life's too short to take seriously.

About breakthroughs (and this is for you too, Seroo) when I was in college in the 80's, my computer classes consisted of taking boxes of cardboard cards with holes punched in them to a computer that took up the building that housed it. I'd drop off the box and come back the next day to get a printout of the results.

If somebody had told the Computer Science professors back then that within 20 years people would buy tiny, flat TeeVees that connected to millions of computers all over the world, that could give them directions from satellites orbiting the earth, could call almost anyone, anywhere in the world for almost no cost, could play games, movies, or any television show I'd care to see, again for almost no cost, I can guarantee you that every one of the Computer Science professors would have spent hours explaining to this poor, deluded nutcase how it was completely impossible, and would be impossible for hundreds of years to come.

None of us know what is possible. Nobody can say what the next breakthrough will be, what it will be, or who will make it. Sure there's a lot of BS and bad science out there. But there's far more that's real, that's amazing, and that will change all of our lives for the better.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #22
allanworks
Registered Member

i like you man you get what science is .im addicted to the stuff thats about the only thing i watch.it all started when i talked to steven hawking when i was therteen. i told him a couple of my ideas about outerspace and he said two of them are possable but has not been proven yet would love to meet him again.the only reason i meet him was because of my brother he had selveralpalzy and got the newest chair and steven wanted to see how it looked it was a prototype.we talked for over an hour about science since then i cant get enough
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #23
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm extracting the chlorophyll from the aloe plants & covering my bike with it to see if it will move under it's own power. WAIT!! A plant grows 3 inches a year & weighs 3 grams. My bike weighs 900# & & need to move a little faster then that. I need a lot of chlorophyll. Maybe I need to add solar panels.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #24
carel78
Registered Member

Let me check on this once again it seems o be good well let me think of going for it.
carel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #25
ClassicRider
Registered Member

Quote:
would you buy a diesel motor cycle.there saposed to get about 100mpg and do close to 100mph.the bike is probably going to be heavier due to the diesel engine and probably vibrate more.
Hayes Diversified Technologies makes the M1030 for the US Marines. It's a converted Kawasaki. It probably does get 100mpg, but I don't believe the speed is much higher than about 75 mph.

http://www.rider-and-road.com/galler...635&fullsize=1

Their website:
M1030-M2 MOTORCYCLE | HAYES-DT

Dnepr, Hercules and others have made Diesels in the past. There may be some manufactured even now. But a Diesel is typically a slow turning engine and isn't often used on motorcycles.

Diesels can be very difficult to get started, particularly in cold weather. VW does have ideal technology to build a motorcycle that could get over 150 mpg, but they build car prototypes instead. And those get over 250 mpg.

A fully streamlined 125 cc motorcycle could easily exceed 200 mpg, and have decent top speed. There have been a couple built recently. Honda's current Press Cub has a consumption rate of 345 mpg, but can't reach that in real life.
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #26
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
would you buy a diesel motor cycle.there saposed to get about 100mpg and do close to 100mph.the bike is probably going to be heavier due to the diesel engine and probably vibrate more.
There seems to be a lot of diesel ignorance out there ...

1) There's no significant weight difference between a diesel & gas short block assembly.

2) Modern TDI engines run just as quiet as gas.

3) Although diesels typically produce more torque than horsepower it doesn't inheritantly have a negative impact on acceleration or top speed. Manufacturers purposely detune diesels so that they don't outperform the gas variations for marketing reasons.

4) Diesel is the future of all petrol engines. It's cheaper to refine, less volatile & burns cleaner. Oh, and it very easily lends itself to alternative fuels modification.

My buddy holds quite a few local track records by running diesels, including a Honda Civic with a Cummins TD conversion he built. Check them out on YouTube (Outlaw Diesel) ... Sorry, I can't post a link from my work computer.

As far as, motorcycle applications ... I'd love to see someone give it a try on a streetable platform.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #27
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

"Manufacturers purposely detune diesels so that they don't outperform the gas variations for marketing reasons."

WHAT!?!? You can't be serious!

I just watched 24 Hours of Le Mans this weekend. There was nothing detuned about the diesel Peugots and Audis in the race.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!

Last edited by Morbo the Destroyer : 06-13-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #28
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
"Manufacturers purposely detune diesels so that they don't outperform the gas variations for marketing reasons."

WHAT!?!? You can't be serious!

I just watch 24 Hours of Le Mans this weekend. There was nothing detuned about the Peugots and Audis in the race.
I was going to comment if either the above made a bike motor then it wouldnt matter if its Diesel or Gas to me. Both would fly.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

My f*cking eyes ache reading your post Allen, having the spelling skills of a 9 year old seriously dilutes your argument.....

At any rate, while diesel may not be the answer for motorcycles, both my bikes get between 45 and 50 mpg, I think it's the future for car engines. VW has set the bar with it'd TDI equipped vehicles and I would chose a TDI diesel option if available for any new car I purchase.

My personal opinion is that the current hybrids are a blip in the time line and with many of the vaunted Prius coming due for a battery change soon will bite their owners in the ass big time...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
VW has set the bar with it'd TDI equipped vehicles and I would chose a TDI diesel option if available for any new car I purchase.
Dood! You sounded just like He-Who-Is-Bug-F#^*ing-Nuts there...
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote