Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
allanworks
Registered Member

i pretty much dont give a **** about that law anymore.its discriminatory towards people with anti social disorders plus i know no one who owns a bike.scools are packed and to far away so im stuck teaching my self.if you want to blame someone blame the goverment or todays society of stuck up dont care about any one adatude.there a few good people out there but not many any more.sorry about that i get angry when i think about society the 50miles is all strait paved back roads no city or high way driving.i was thinking 5-6 car links away
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

With the right attitude, you can teach yourself. I did it. However, I didn't actually learn "how" to ride until I was riding for several years, and fell beneath the influence of people I (now) consider "Real Riders". (I started riding mini-bikes at 7, a "real" motorcycle at 11, and legal-like on the street at 22. I didn't have a clue what I was doing until probably 25-26. I'm now 40.)

One book in particular helped me to "get" it. I've read several other books on riding, but I credit this one with the not-inconsiderable jump in my personal skills: Lee Parks Total Control
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 06-01-2011 at 08:46 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
allanworks
Registered Member

thanks for the link .i went to there website and watched the video.ill chech and see if the library has that book or others like it.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
thanks for the link .i went to there website and watched the video.ill chech and see if the library has that book or others like it.
While looking, also look for books by David Hough (sounds like "Tough"): the Proficient Motorcycling series is also very, very good. I gleaned many excellent tips from the first two of the series.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
the 50miles is all strait paved back roads no city or high way driving.

i was thinking 5-6 car links away
At what speed ?

That will mean about an hour in the saddle; two if it's 50 miles each way, and that is a LOT for a rider with no more experience than you have.

You don't really need practice going in a straight line at a constant speed (not much anyway). What you really need practice with is stopping and starting and taking curves and turns at various speeds......and changing your line in the middle of a curve or turn if an obstacle appears........and stopping abruptly if need be. You get very little of that on your proposed route.

5-6 car lengths is not nearly enough. If you are going above 30 mph, then a quarter mile is more like it. You don't want any CHANCE of your "chase car" running you over if you crash. You also don't want to create an obstacle for another vehicle to pass the two of you together.

I really can't disagree with you on the legal aspect of things. You just need to be keenly aware of what might happen to your license if you are stopped or do crash.

And, last but not least, you should sign up for a beginners course as soon as you can manage it.
There is no substitute for good on-site training.
A lot of "seasoned" riders are surprised at what they learn.........and at what their self-training taught them wrong.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 06-01-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
And, last but not least, you should sign up for a beginners course as soon as you can manage it.
There is no substitute for good on-site training.
A lot of "seasoned" riders are surprised at what they learn.........and at what their self-training taught them wrong.
Exactly.

As I said above, I didn't have a clue until I rode with "real" riders. Thought I was pretty good, too. (and compared to most of my "peers" at the time, I actually was - but not compared to my current peers).
Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
allanworks
Registered Member

i would like to but theres know way of it happining i live over 50 miles from the nearest training place .there all booked till september.i drive a truck and im on disability. cost of gas back and forth will kill me.it gets 10 mpg .and theres onle 3 classes what would i learn in 12 hours that i cant learn in a months worth of reading books and riding .whats the diffrence between another bike rider and my mom following. both can call 911 if i reak.thats what there all there for as i can tell.ive always been told you learn from doing not from studing.studing can only get you so far untel youve done it youve learned nothing.i am fairly fisically fit i can lift my bike off the ground about 6inches
Old 06-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
there all booked till september.

.and theres onle 3 classes what would i learn in 12 hours that i cant learn in a months worth of reading books and riding .

whats the diffrence between another bike rider and my mom following.

untel youve done it youve learned nothing.

i am fairly fisically fit i can lift my bike off the ground about 6inches
Allan, buddy, you're being kind of dense here.
If you are going to argue with the advice you get here, the advice will dry up REALLY quickly.

If the first opening in the course is September, sign up for THAT one.
By then, you should have your full license and it will be an excuse for a nice ride.
Are you sure that's the only class nearby? Have you checked msf-usa.org ?
If you really can't afford it.....that's another matter.
Resolve to take the course as soon as you CAN.

You can learn a LOT because the course is only half classroom; the other half is ON a bike with a trained and experienced instructor telling you what you are doing right.......and what you are doing WRONG.
For instance, do you know what counter-steering is ?
Do you know how to recover if you enter a turn too fast and are running wide?

The theory behind having another rider go along with you is so that they can tell you what you need to imporve upon. It's a nice theory but sometimes even seasoned riders give bad advice. Your Mom will likely be able to give you NO useful advice.

AND.....if you are in that good a shape, what kind of "disability" do you have ???

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 06-01-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
allanworks
Registered Member

my disability is mental and phisical.im adhd ,emotionally handycap,two slip discs in my back,degenerative arthrites.most the time i dont let phesical pain stop me from doing what i want part of the adhd i guess.stubern headed like a ox
i know under stand what your saying get license first then take class that would be fine couse then i could ride my bike to the classes. my step dad used to ride all over the country would he work to follow me.but he kinda tollarates me and didnt want to bother him.but if i must ill do it.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:20 AM   #20
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Allan, here's just one example of why you should go to a class: "Counter-steering." I rode motorcycles for years and never heard of it. Like a lot of guys my age, I never took a class, they didn't have them. I learned to ride my first "real" bike on the way home from the dealership. Crashed it twice within 6 months, both totally avoidable, if only I'd had some training and knew how to steer the bike properly.

Of course you're anxious to get on the road, who wouldn't be? But a smart guy sets that aside and prepares first, acts second. Now get out of here, ya knucklehead!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote