Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
pushrod
Founding Member

allan,

The newer formulations of fuel, especially with the corn squeezin's in them, are causing all sorts of problems. Especially with older vehicles. The rubber used in the fuel systems is probably not ethanol-compatible.

So, if you must buy E-whatever fuel, make sure you also treat the fuel with an Ethanol-treatment, like from Sta-bil.

Regarding the airbox mods. Don't do it. Unless you are going to race the bike, putting 'pods' on the carbs is usually a major PITA.

Regarding the leak, I'd also recommend you check the bowl screws. They may need to be tightened. Just a bit.

You don't mention how old the tires are. If they are dry-rotted (that is, they show cracking in the sidewalls), you need to 'spoon on some new buns.'

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
A Star Ride
Registered Member

One thing to check (and you'll feel stupid if I'm right, lol) is your pet peter in the "ON" position not the "PRIME" position?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
allanworks
Registered Member

petkok is on reserve and doesnt leak any more. tire is about 3 years old still got good tread.
allanworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanworks View Post
drove it around town today with some sea foam to clean carb.

not giving it enough throutle i guess.

now down shifting to slow down is that mandatory i would rather just use the brakes.
I agree you need to keep an eye on that fuel leak.......and before you ride it too much more, change the oil.....if you are sure the leak has stopped.

Part of your stalling problem might be that your idle speed is too low......or if the engine is still cold, you aren't leaving the choke on long enough.

Stopping with the brakes ONLY is a bad habit to get into. You don't have to actually let the engine slow you down but you NEED to shift down one gear at t a time as your speed decreases. That puts you in the right gear if you want to take off again.....AND.....bikes are really hard to shift more than one gear at a time, sometimes almost impossible when standing still.

P.S. Seafoam is not a really good carb cleaner. After that is run through, get a can of Berrymans B12 Chemtool. It cleans better and is about 1/3 the price.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
allanworks
Registered Member

ok good thats what i thought about down shifting. ive used chemtool before but sea foam to me seamed to be the better stuff run it threw pcv valve and all the carbon build up in your engine is gone.planed on changing the oil to day
Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
sea foam to me seamed to be the better stuff run it threw pcv valve and all the carbon build up in your engine is gone.
1) There is no good evidence that "normal" carbon buildup is really bad for an engine. It is, in fact, self-limiting under normal circumstances.

2) That is quite different than cleaning varnish and other deposits from inside a carb.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
allanworks
Registered Member

i do know that just a few drops can strip the clear coat paint and primer off a car.if it can do that i think varnish shouldent be a problem .of cource cheam tool and sea foam could be the same thing in two diffrent cans.and as for the carbon issue i had a geo prizem once it ran like **** ran some sea foam threw it and she perred like a kittian see what happens is carbon builds up on valves causing them not to seat right allowing blow back causing the engine to run bad.carbon on the pistons its self is realy know problem.i use the stuff because of exsperiance and what i was trained to use.firestone use to use it for the fuel system tune up and thats what i was trained to use
Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
if it can do that i think varnish shouldent be a problem .of cource cheam tool and sea foam could be the same thing in two diffrent cans.
Trust me, it isn't the same.

But I am not going to argue with you.
You obviously know everything about everything......or at least think you do.

I'm done.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
i do know that just a few drops can strip the clear coat paint and primer off a car.if it can do that i think varnish shouldent be a problem .of cource cheam tool and sea foam could be the same thing in two diffrent cans.and as for the carbon issue i had a geo prizem once it ran like **** ran some sea foam threw it and she perred like a kittian see what happens is carbon builds up on valves causing them not to seat right allowing blow back causing the engine to run bad.carbon on the pistons its self is realy know problem.i use the stuff because of exsperiance and what i was trained to use.firestone use to use it for the fuel system tune up and thats what i was trained to use
They don't even smell the same. Seafoam smells like jet fuel or kero, Berryman's B12 smells like Tolulol (Toluene).

I've never seen either of them strip catalysed auto-grade paint, but they WILL take spray-grenade paint right the hell down to bare metal.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 06-01-2011 at 03:17 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #20
allanworks
Registered Member

well im sorry that your getting frustrated with me its just i speak my mind.and it gets me in trouble some times .im not saing that chem tool is bad or anything ive just not used it that much and i like to stick with what ive found to work.ok maby it was more than a few drops.if you wipe it off emediatly no problem.i poured it in the tank spilt some on truck went up stairs to get a towl to wipe it off and forgot what i was doing found it the next morning the paint all bubled up picked at it and the paint chiped off.
never smelled it so i wouldent know havent been a machanic sence the late 90s