Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
tgsplano
Registered Member

Default Opinion on Motel Services

Hopefully I'm posting this under the correct topic. But I would like some opinions on what motel services are important to motorcyclists. I'm looking at possibly purchasing a motel in Eureka Springs AR which is a popular distination for weekend trips for motorcyclists. It seems that most motorcyclists are staying in the cheaper motels ~$45 per night. The motel I'm considering was built in early 80s but it is very clean and well kept. There is quite a bit of competition in the area since it is a tourist destination so I was trying to determine what would make cyclists choose a particular motel.

I've stayed in a couple of the motels in the price area and honestly, I would gladly pay $5 more a night for better quality beds. To me, this is the second most important thing besides the motel being clean and I'm willing to pay $5 for a comfortable bed. What are your thoughts?

How important is a pool when choosing a motel? If a motel did not offer a pool, but it offered outdoor hot tubs, would you be willing to pay $5 for 90 minutes in the tub? Would you prefer a pool over this option?

What are your thoughts about motels that offer a dedicated motorcycle carport vs. those that don't. What about a place with water access to clean the bikes?

How about rooms that offer discounts if there is no phone provided in the room?

How important is the breakfast offered by the motel? Are muffins and donuts fine or would more options change your decision where to stay?

What are your thoughts about the availability of an outdoor grill and/or fire pit?

How important is the TV/cable channel selection in the room? Most motels at this price point are using tube TVs still. Would flat panel displays make a difference of where you stayed?

How important is room decor to you? If there was a standard room and one with Harley pictures and bedding, etc, would it make a difference to you?

What things make you definitely not visit a motel again, and what things make you a repeat customer for a motel? Please target your answers to motels that would offer rooms in the $50 range. It could be something to do with the grounds, picnic tables, horseshoes - heck, I don't know. But I think you get an idea what I'm after. I'm trying to get a feel whether motorcyclists are strictly looking for the cheapest bed to sleep in, or if there are certain things that would get their business. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
TG
tgsplano is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

"What are your thoughts about motels that offer a dedicated motorcycle carport vs. those that don't. What about a place with water access to clean the bikes?"

The two things I like and look for are a dry and secure place to park, and a hose and rags to clean the bike. A lot of places are offering both when they market to riders.

The other stuff like TVs, grills etc., are all good, but they aren't motorcycle specific; any tourist would like those.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

A lot of the motel extras like flat panel TV with movie channels, BBQ area, even a pool vary based on how long the stay is. If the motel is just a pitstop they matter very little to me.

The things that always matter (other than price & cleanliness) are secure/safe parking near my room, a comfortable bed, working AC, a hot shower & continental breakfast.

If 2 or more motels offered all of these basics & were priced competitively here's some things that would sway me even if it meant an extra $5: in-room mini-fridge, bike wash area, hottub, and/or hot breakfast. But your suggested $5 for 90min hottub would send me to a different motel. The thought being, "If the owner is so cheap as charge separately for that, what other corners are they cutting?"

Ultimately, my miserly brain would work out bang for the buck & I'd stay there.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

What Morbo said.

The one thing I don't like about motels is that the beds are usually too hard. Aside from that after a whole day riding I don't care to cook and I usually fall asleep fairly early. A motel that serves a decent breakfast is a plus, not just a roll and coffee.. the "continental breakfast" they call it which is another world for stingy. I find that the Best Westerns are usually adequate and not much more expensive than the Motel 6 variety.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

As long as the bed wasn't awful, I probably wouldn't notice a better quality mattress, so I wouldn't want to pay $5 more. And it's not just the mattress that makes the bed better. If the cover and sheets are crappy, that makes the bed crappy, even if the mattress is better quality.

A pool or hot tub is nice, but not that important.

A dedicated motorcycle carport and a place with water access to clean the bikes would be great and would differentiate you from those motels that didn't provide it. If that carport was secure it would be even better.

No phone in the room shouldn't be an issue, but I might want to recharge my cellphone, so a wall plug would be essential.

Breakfast offered by the motel is a real differentiator. When I was doing a lot of work-related traveling, Hampton Inn was my favorite place to stay, because they had reasonable rates and there was a real breakfast buffet. A continental breakfast is *not* a breakfast

An outdoor grill and/or fire pit would be a good option for groups of riders. But for just me and my girl it would just be a nicety, not a necessity, and I wouldn't want to pay extra for it.

TV/cable selection should be a standard amenity. And if you're still using tube tv's your place is out of date, so I would be less likely to stay there if there was an alternative.

If you're going to cater to the motorcycle crowd, you should put some generic motorcycle decor in the rooms. It doesn't have to be too nice, but it shouldn't be junk. It should be in the form of pictures, or statues or something. Leave the bedding standard.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
12er
Founding Member

Clean QUIET rooms that dont smell like an ash tray.
Well lit bike parking close to the room.
floor space for hard bags etc.
Decent TV offerings (wife uses it to fall asleep)
towels that arent made of sand paper
quiet AC, hate wall units that put out about 80db.
decent bed with actual pillows (read not 1 inch thick)

Pools and spas are public cesspools to me and I have no desire to gear up, go find a store and buy food, utensils and ride back and cook. Now mini fridge for snacks and cold beverages is always welcome.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I travel 2-3 times a month for work so hotel stays are not a luxury to me, I'd rather camp. A hotel having a fee for anything extra I think is tacky, if you are a guest you get it all. I like soft towels, warm blankets, quiet climate control, lit parking lots easy access to the rooms (not long walks down hallways carrying your junk) good water pressure & big breakfasts.
I don't care for fancy lobbys, phone, alarm clocks, microwaves pools, exercise equipment or even fancy tv. The local/world news & a Seinfield or CSI rerun will make my day, but I know I'm simplier then most.
I Stayed at a hotel in Fountain Inn SC who had snacks & soda fountain in the evening, kinda like continental b'fast, but not b'fast foods I thought that was nice.
First thing I do when I check in is unplug a lamp & alarm clock so I can get my cell charging & laptop powered. I also like windows that open, but think balconys that are fake are silly.

Last edited by A Star Ride : 05-24-2011 at 06:08 PM.
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Internet access so you can go on Biker Personals and find Marge who's ok with your previous incarceration would be nice.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Maybe even an ink parlor or a glory hole.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #10
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I suppose hookers and cocaine room service is out of the question...unless you're in VEGAS, BABY!!!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote