Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Motorcycle Beginner: Buying Riding Gear

Original Article:
Motorcycle Beginner: Buying Riding Gear

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Beginner: Buying Riding Gear in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
cloud9
Registered Member

I went the opposite approach and bought exclusively online.

As long as you measure yourself properly and read up on a couple of reviews regarding how the sizing runs (smaller than normal, larger than normal etc) it's a great way to save some money.

Certain items are best left for the store such as helmets and jackets.

This series is getting juicy..........can't wait till the next segment.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Dennis Chung
Motorcycle.com Staff

Thanks. And trust me, we're just getting started
Dennis Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

I go to cycle gear to try on things I like then buy them off motorcycleusa.com or compacc.com in most cases/
Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

If the brick-&-mortar store has what I want, and it's within $20-$30 (depending on what that item is) of any Online price - I just buy from them. Support your local Economy, dontcha know.

So far as Helmets go, my last one (well, last TWO, actually) I bought from my local Honda/Kawi/Suzi shop - they were within $5 of any online store. No joke.

I also buy batteries and the like from local. As well as three different jackets (well, one was from Marietta Motorsports - but I bought it in their shop, not online).

Online is for accessory-typee stuff (luggage, windscreens, parts, handguards, tires, etc.), or stuff you can't get anywhere else.

Support Local, whenever you can. Especially in this economy. If you don't; you eventually won't HAVE a local shop to go to when you NEED to.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

As I said on your 1st article - I'm liking this series. Great general info & perfect for other new riders. The one new surprise is you're actually a normal size guy! I'm almost your H/W twin & was getting tired of all the articles centered around those 5'8" 160lb guys. LOL

I got most of my gear before Al Gore invented the internet & amassed an assortment of typical cruiser & sportbike gear over the years. But I agree with "AirHawk": get your gear retail & accessories online. It really helps to try things on & feel the quality (or lack thereof).

Sidenote: Do as much research as you can before buying. Many suppliers offer various colors of the same item. Make sure you're getting exactly what you want & for a good price; so you'll have regret free ownership.

Last edited by Sir_Angus : 05-27-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Sir_Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
doc_al
Registered Member

Everybody has to make their own gear decisions, but there is an inconsistent logic behind wearing an armored jacket while not wearing riding pants. Pretty hard to crash without banging/scraping your knees or butt on the ground (been there/done that).
doc_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I figure some are helmet only, some gloves & boots, some armored coat & some finally add pants, or wear a full suit. I have all that gear but honestly don't wear it as often as I should.