Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #21
jrider
Registered Member

Maybe I'm just a novice rider and this sounds ignorant, but I don't see what the big deal would be to take one or two weekend road trips a month and spend the 20 minutes to put-on and take-off my gear (sissy bar, bags, etc). Then the rest of the month I could ride around town with just the regular seat on.
Sounds good to me, especially if it truly wouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do. Just my 2 cents...
jrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #22
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Yes, and it might not even take 20 minutes. There are quick-release windshields and bags, and I don't think you'll need to remove the sissy bar at all (unless you just have to have the no-sissy-bar look).

It takes me less than three minutes to remove my windshield .. it's just four allen bolts. 'Course that also means that if someone wants my windshield it's easy for them to take it. There are quick-release locks for bags so no-one steals your bags.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #23
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Then the rest of the month I could ride around town with just the regular seat on.
And the advantage in doing that would be.........WHAT ??

That's the part that I don't get........other than poser vanity, that is.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #24
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
YMMV.

And if you just left your bike in it's "highway mode", how would the in town riding experience really be that much different ??
Pretty different:

The big Givi screen is great for long trips because it blocks a lot of air pressure and rain. Around town I prefer the cooling and visibility of the small sport screen.

The saddlebags are too wide for lane-splitting, and they're like air brakes. Commuting to work all I need is a small backpack.

The touring seat is great for comfort, it's really wide and supportive. But I can't move around on it the way I like to when on short, "spirited" rides.

It can't take more than 2 minutes to change the seat. The Givi bags take a key turn and button push to take off. Same on the topcase. The windscreen does take 15 - 20 minutes, it would be faster, but I use a MadStad bracket on the big screen.

BTW: I used to do the same thing with the Low Rider. I had a snap-on windsreen and throw-over bags for trips, and took them off for around town.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Maybe I'm just a novice rider and this sounds ignorant, but I don't see what the big deal would be to take one or two weekend road trips a month and spend the 20 minutes to put-on and take-off my gear (sissy bar, bags, etc). Then the rest of the month I could ride around town with just the regular seat on.
Sounds good to me, especially if it truly wouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do. Just my 2 cents...
Not a big deal at all, I remove the sissy bar for my wife in a few seconds and pop off my bags on my BMW. Only since your currently obsessed with the mean streak a seat that your significant other wont kill you over may be tough to find. Then you have soft saddle bags, not as rain or theft safe as hard bags on a more standard / sport touring ride. The Bandit recommended above will fill all your needs other than visually. Getting a cruiser to tour on a budget with two sets of long legs is the real challenge.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #26
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Pretty different:

The touring seat is great for comfort, it's really wide and supportive. But I can't move around on it the way I like to when on short, "spirited" rides.
Guess that's where the "different strokes" saying came from.

Pretty much NONE of those factors really affect me....... so mine is decked out for the highway all the time.

I may change my mind slightly with I get the Russell touring seat mounted........but I doubt it. For what it's costing me, I might take it into the living room to watch TV.......to help convince me I'm really getting the value out of it !!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I never change mine & can do it all in 5 seconds. I can strip it faster then finding as safe place to store the parts. I may take the windshield off for a short day ride sometime soon now that I'm thinking about it, but haven't removed anything for any reason other then cleaning.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #28
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
I may change my mind slightly with I get the Russell touring seat mounted........but I doubt it. For what it's costing me, I might take it into the living room to watch TV.......to help convince me I'm really getting the value out of it !!
It was either Russell or Rick Mayer when I bought last January. The Russell has their "suspension" setup, Mayer uses different foam densities. I bought the Mayer because it was less expensive, available in under 3 months, and (they claimed) better suited for "sport" touring. It's not as wide as the Russells, which are very wide, but it's still wide and deep enough to hold you in place vs. sliding side to side. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have gone for the Russell.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
jrider
Registered Member

FYI, yesterday I bought a 2007 Mean Streak. I love it. It is the perfect combination of cruiser and sport bike. I also did find a decent after market Cobra seat (2 piece) for longer road trips (used for $120). I'm still trying to find a good deal on a sissy bar, luggage rack, and saddle bags, but that will come in time over the next couple weeks. Meanwhile, I can't put down my meanie. It is great for around town sporty rides as well as the longer highway rides. It's exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for everyone's help. Greatly appreciate your input.
jrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #30
pushrod
Founding Member

Congratulations!

Don't be a stranger! Let us know how the 'Meanie' works out.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote