Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
jrider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
You're 6'5" and she is 5'10".

That's... let's see... carry the 7...square root...

Okay, that's about 12 feet of leg you've got to put somewhere. And, unless you drug her, the pillion seat needs to be somewhat comfortable.

You are going to need a bike with some serious grunt to haul the two of you and whatever you add as luggage; and I'd recommend a Fuel-Injected bike, since riding in the mountains is not where a carburetor likes to be.

So you do have a bit of a problem, since you want a bike that can do the touring gig, but also be useful around town. For $5K.

That's a good one. I'll need to think on this for a while.

To aid in your quest, here is the bestest search engine: motorcycles and powersports : craigslist eBay kijiji mash : United States

Tally-ho!

Pushrod, thank you for the advice. yes I'm learning that the bike I want probably doesn't exist, or at the very least, it's very rare... So at this point I've accepted that I'm either going to need to sacrifice comfort on long hauls with 2up, or I'm going to need to sacrifice the sporty maneuverability for around town. I probably just can't have both, unless I bought two bikes - which I can't afford right now.

Also, thanks for the advice on getting a bike with fuel injection since I live in the high altitude mountains (4000 foot valleys and 8000+foot mountain passes).

If you or anyone else think of any other good suggestions for me, please let me know. I look forward to all of the replies! Thank you!
jrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Maybe the bike I'm looking for just doesn't exist and I simply need to make some sacrifices somewhere...

but realistically we won't always be able to do that in the rural parts of CO, WY, UT, ID, NV, MT, AZ, etc.
Yes, I think so. In particular, you will find it difficult to ride two up AND take much gear along on a bike that wasn't designed originally to do that.

It you are talking LONG trips, I assume it will be Interstate or major highway and as long as you stay out of the Mojave desert, I think you should be able to find a gas station at least every 100 miles or so.

Taken all that you said, however, I think you really need two bikes.
A smaller one for in town and a touring bike for the road.
Once you get used to it, the big bike will be OK for in town too; not ideal maybe but just OK.

Are you SURE that your intended passenger REALLY will want to go along on long road trips ?? It would be shame to get a big road yacht and end up by yourself.

And finally, you really don't have THAT much experience yet.
I can't shake the feeling that your stated plans might be a bit too ambitious at this point.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 05-20-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
jrider
Registered Member

Easy rider, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have to think about the possibility that I'm being a bit overly ambitious right now. That's another reason I hesitate to invest in a big Mean Streak 1600 as it is big and a bit meant for long hauls rather than short drives in the city.

I also agree that I would love to have both a cruiser and a sport bike, but I ain't got $5K+ times 2 right now... hence, I am trying to find a bike that gives me at least a little of both cruising and sporty style riding. Going back to my original post then, is the '07 Honda Spirit 1100 a bad choice then? My main worry with it is it's not fuel injected for all the high mountain riding I'm doing out here in CO, UT, WY etc... maybe it's not that big of a deal? I worry that with over 350 lbs of 2up riding (people + gear), that the 1100 may be sluggish going up the canyon roads while weighed down that heavy.
That being said, I did check online and the Mean Streak 1600 has plenty of upgrades that I could do to it (seat upgrades, sissy bar for passenger, dual bags, luggage rack, etc), that would make the MS very capable for long hauls. Couldn't I just take all of that extra stuff off while riding in town and be fine?

Thanks again for all of the responses! Please keep posting if you have anything to add! Thank you!
jrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
pushrod
Founding Member

Hopefully 12r will chime in here, as (if I understand correctly) he shops in the "Holy Sh*t, it's coming toward us!" section for clothes.

That is to say: He's tall. In a Sasquatchian kind of way.

He should be able to weigh in on a bike that would fit you and the SO.

Anyhow, my cogitation and Magic 8-Ball(TM) consultation tell me the ideal bike for you is an older BMW GS1100/1200/1250.

Plenty of room, good performance and range, plenty of accessories, pretty good for 2-up. Gnarly-looking enough to scare timid women and children around town.

The $5K price point is still a problem, though. Which takes me back to the 955i Tiger.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Couldn't I just take all of that extra stuff off while riding in town and be fine?
Once again, you are worrying about the wrong things.

All that extra stuff will not interfere with riding in town in the least.......and you will quickly find out that taking it off and putting it back on will be a tremendous pain in the ass.

It sounds to me like you are determined to do some serioius touring (whether that's practical or not is another question) so in my opinion, right now you need to be looking for a serious touring bike.

I repeat my suggestion that you keep an eye out for used Wings.
You should be able to get a really nice one for $5K.......and they come already equipped with everything you need......almost.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
mugwump58
Registered Member

Used Bandit? The big one
Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I have the Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It is huge, big seats, big bags & big v-4 motor. It is so big I had to get a Gold Wing cover to fit it. It is an affordable bike because they took it out of production but most mechanical parts cross reverence with the v-max so parts down the road shuldn't be of issue. It has quick detach (no hardware, just pull latches) sissy bar/luggage rack & windshield if you want to quickly strip it down. That was a big marketing factor when they designed this bike but the only person I have ever came across who did take any of it off was a guy who had a white one & didn't want it to look like a police bike. Some things that sound like great ideas arent.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Once again, you are worrying about the wrong things.

All that extra stuff will not interfere with riding in town in the least.......and you will quickly find out that taking it off and putting it back on will be a tremendous pain in the ass.
I beg to differ.

I'm constantly taking my sidebags and topcase on and off depending on what I'm doing on the bike any given day. I also have two windscreens and saddles; one set for around town and one set for road trips. I just put them on last night for a day trip up the coast, and they'll come back off tomorrow. Luggage is < 5 mins on/off, screens takes maybe 15 mins to swap.

Maybe it's just me.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Maybe it's just me.
YMMV.

I bought my bike to ride, not to screw with all the time.

I figure that 20 minutes you take removing parts is an extra 20 minutes that I get to ride.

I also don't wash it more than about twice a season......and polish it almost never.

And if you just left your bike in it's "highway mode", how would the in town riding experience really be that much different ??
Old 05-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
12er
Founding Member

I'm going with an older bandit. They at least give a muscle bike look and fit his Swiss army requirements. Once the weight limit went up all I could think was valkyrie but too much of a tank for around town. Even though they are not fi, the bandit should have enough grunt, most used have after market seats and many with givi's. Personally the new gen tiger, but stylishly it doesn't sound like a fit or a gs...

Ok, hit up craigslist and 1200s's are going for well under $3k. For your $5k you could buy a set of givi's, Corbin seat, windshield and new shocks. 100 HP do it all on budget, Sold!

Last edited by 12er : 05-22-2011 at 05:26 PM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote