Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Honda Fury vs. 2011 Yamaha Star Stryker [Video] (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18595-2012-honda-fury-vs-2011-yamaha-star-stryker-video.html)

Administrator 05-19-2011 11:53 AM

2012 Honda Fury vs. 2011 Yamaha Star Stryker [Video]

Original Article:
2012 Honda Fury vs. 2011 Yamaha Star Stryker [Video]

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Honda Fury vs. 2011 Yamaha Star Stryker [Video] in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Rob-SV650 05-19-2011 04:23 PM

Nice, but doesn't the Stryker compete more directly with the new Sabre than the Fury?

Another thing a potential buyer might consider is in the real world, you can get a Yamaha Raider for less than the MSRP of the Fury, which absolutely clobbers it with its ~85 RWHP and ~105 Lbs/ft and a seemingly impossibly low center of gravity.

Duken4evr 05-20-2011 06:39 AM

Choppers are all about "authenticity". They are hard core and uncompromising. A good chopper like a Big Dog, has a formidible engine which exudes character, rawness and, actual power. The "Furby" has none of this. 57hp at 4,300 rpm? Plastic fenders? Really?

I suppose a few middle aged corporate drone types who are wanna be bad asses on the weekend will buy these things as they are "safe" but they are a joke compared to the real thing. This bike is the motorcycling equivalent of a McDonald's give away toy.

Harsh commentary I suppose and I don't even like nor am I interested in choppers, but I do appreciate what they represent. The Fury is an affront to that. Honda really should have realized that they are incapable of authenticity in this segment. They should not have gone here.

trenttheuncatchable 05-20-2011 06:59 AM

Yes, the Fury has plastic parts. Yes, it isn't "hardcore". But it's a Honda, it's reliable, and it's a chopper. From the statistics I remember, they sold quite a few of them the first year it came out.

I would consider it (or one of its brethren, like the Sabre) if I were in the market for a chopper. 'Course I own a Z750S and an M50 :) Those are more on the practical side than the clique side.

Morbo the Destroyer 05-20-2011 08:18 AM

Every time I see a Fury at the dealership, I am amazed at that Honda built it. I have to agree with the article, they hit all the styling cues; far better than the Stryker. It's not my cuppa, but if I were in that market, I'd buy one.

Duken4evr 05-20-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 260122)
Yes, the Fury has plastic parts. Yes, it isn't "hardcore". But it's a Honda, it's reliable, and it's a chopper. From the statistics I remember, they sold quite a few of them the first year it came out.

I would consider it (or one of its brethren, like the Sabre) if I were in the market for a chopper. 'Course I own a Z750S and an M50 :) Those are more on the practical side than the clique side.

Z750S. A man of practical and discriminating taste :)

Funny, the Stryker does not even register with me. The Fury strikes enough of a pose in comparison to the real cues that it does. Hit a nerve too evidently. That or I am just cranky today!

Buzglyd 05-20-2011 01:58 PM

Do you have a Canadian to English translation? I couldn't understand a word you were saying.

nferr 05-20-2011 02:06 PM

Fury costs too much for what is IMO. Especially with all the plastic. Like someone mentioned get a Raider if you're going to spend that much. The Stryker is not nearly as striking looking, but it's in a much lower price class and has metal fenders, engine covers, etc..

jumbo 05-20-2011 04:14 PM

Fury

I wonder how much hires power the pan head in the captian America bike has?

Kevin_Duke 05-20-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob-SV650 (Post 260100)
Nice, but doesn't the Stryker compete more directly with the new Sabre than the Fury?

Another thing a potential buyer might consider is in the real world, you can get a Yamaha Raider for less than the MSRP of the Fury, which absolutely clobbers it with its ~85 RWHP and ~105 Lbs/ft and a seemingly impossibly low center of gravity.

Yeah, the Sabre would've been a good fit, but we hadn't yet put the Fury into any comparo and thought this would be a good one, too.

The Raider, as cool as it is (http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...out-69801.html) is a different bike altogether.