Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads

Original Article:
Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Motorcycle Roads

Sure seems like you guys emphasized scenery over twisties. The extra-terrestial highway sure isn't one to wear the sides of your tires, though high speed may be an attraction. The "Million dollar Highway" and highway 1 are great, some of the others barely have a turn on them, though very scenic. BIA 15 in Arizona comes to mind. I'd take the Beartooth highway, WA 20 through N. Cascades Natl. Park, or UT 12 past 4 Natl. Parks/monuments over many of these. Everybody has their favorite roads I suppose.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
Sure seems like you guys emphasized scenery over twisties. The extra-terrestial highway sure isn't one to wear the sides of your tires, though high speed may be an attraction. The "Million dollar Highway" and highway 1 are great, some of the others barely have a turn on them, though very scenic. BIA 15 in Arizona comes to mind. I'd take the Beartooth highway, WA 20 through N. Cascades Natl. Park, or UT 12 past 4 Natl. Parks/monuments over many of these. Everybody has their favorite roads I suppose.
Yeah, we realized that there are different reasons for choosing to travel to a far-off road, and not all of them are about twisty-road entertainment. Different strokes...

I'd add California's Hwy 58 and NC's Tail of the Dragon to my list.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Not the Blue Ridge Parkway? lol
Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Am I the only one that enjoys a ride down US1? Especially through the FL keys.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
Am I the only one that enjoys a ride down US1? Especially through the FL keys.
It wasn't too bad the one time I rode it. But it was bloody slow (as in, posted 45 but travel was at 25 due to gawkers and bluehairs, and only like two passing-zones between Largo and West), and with the high armco on the sides of the bridges, I couldn't see much of anything close-up to the road, riding a sport-standard. I don't see how Cruiser guys can see anything at all, with a lower seat-height.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

You guys missed a much better road than the million dollar highway. Take Hwy 145 to 141 between Cortez Co and Grand Junction. 220 miles. Only about 30 of those miles aren't through mountain canyons. You can even stop at the now defunct Atomic Drive-in Theater for a photo op.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
It wasn't too bad the one time I rode it. But it was bloody slow (as in, posted 45 but travel was at 25 due to gawkers and bluehairs, and only like two passing-zones between Largo and West), and with the high armco on the sides of the bridges, I couldn't see much of anything close-up to the road, riding a sport-standard. I don't see how Cruiser guys can see anything at all, with a lower seat-height.
The snowbirds & bluehairs can be annoying obstacles, but skilled riders with a devil-may-care attitude can skirt by them. I've typically rode down during the Peterson's Poker Run (think the named changed now) and can't recall any scenery issues. Plenty palm trees, caribbean waters, bikini girls & tiki bars.

I've found that just about every decent road is littered with inexperienced riders & f-ing minivans. Especially when its rally time, i.e. Sturgis, Daytona, Milwaukee, Myrtle Beach, etc ... There should be laws against cars on our roads!

Last edited by Sir_Angus : 05-25-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: stupid spell check mistakes
Sir_Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Matt7even
Registered Member

Definitely some good destinations to add to my bucket list =). Glad to see Highway 23 and the Ozarks in general have gotten their due as a major motorcycle destination in the last few years. Eureka Springs is a gem of a little town and all the new bike traffic has been a nice boom to the area.
Matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
JamieC
Registered Member

I think creating a bucket list for places to ride is a great idea! I work with Competition Accessories and we actually did a blog post recently that might help you with additional suggestions, here is a list of top 20 roads in the Southwest: Top 20 Motorcycle Roads in the Southwest | Competition Accessories The second is the top 20 in the Midwest: Top 20 Motorcycle Roads in the Midwest | Competition Accessories
JamieC is offline   Reply With Quote