Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/18590-top-10-best-motorcycling-touring-roads.html)

Administrator 05-19-2011 05:15 AM

Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads

Original Article:
Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

bbtowns 05-19-2011 09:05 AM

Motorcycle Roads

Sure seems like you guys emphasized scenery over twisties. The extra-terrestial highway sure isn't one to wear the sides of your tires, though high speed may be an attraction. The "Million dollar Highway" and highway 1 are great, some of the others barely have a turn on them, though very scenic. BIA 15 in Arizona comes to mind. I'd take the Beartooth highway, WA 20 through N. Cascades Natl. Park, or UT 12 past 4 Natl. Parks/monuments over many of these. Everybody has their favorite roads I suppose.

Kevin_Duke 05-20-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtowns (Post 260080)
Sure seems like you guys emphasized scenery over twisties. The extra-terrestial highway sure isn't one to wear the sides of your tires, though high speed may be an attraction. The "Million dollar Highway" and highway 1 are great, some of the others barely have a turn on them, though very scenic. BIA 15 in Arizona comes to mind. I'd take the Beartooth highway, WA 20 through N. Cascades Natl. Park, or UT 12 past 4 Natl. Parks/monuments over many of these. Everybody has their favorite roads I suppose.

Yeah, we realized that there are different reasons for choosing to travel to a far-off road, and not all of them are about twisty-road entertainment. Different strokes...

I'd add California's Hwy 58 and NC's Tail of the Dragon to my list.

A Star Ride 05-21-2011 09:56 AM

Not the Blue Ridge Parkway? lol

Sir_Angus 05-24-2011 07:01 AM

Am I the only one that enjoys a ride down US1? Especially through the FL keys.

The_AirHawk 05-24-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Angus (Post 260348)
Am I the only one that enjoys a ride down US1? Especially through the FL keys.

It wasn't too bad the one time I rode it. But it was bloody slow (as in, posted 45 but travel was at 25 due to gawkers and bluehairs, and only like two passing-zones between Largo and West), and with the high armco on the sides of the bridges, I couldn't see much of anything close-up to the road, riding a sport-standard. I don't see how Cruiser guys can see anything at all, with a lower seat-height.

seruzawa 05-24-2011 08:08 AM

You guys missed a much better road than the million dollar highway. Take Hwy 145 to 141 between Cortez Co and Grand Junction. 220 miles. Only about 30 of those miles aren't through mountain canyons. You can even stop at the now defunct Atomic Drive-in Theater for a photo op.

Sir_Angus 05-24-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 260349)
It wasn't too bad the one time I rode it. But it was bloody slow (as in, posted 45 but travel was at 25 due to gawkers and bluehairs, and only like two passing-zones between Largo and West), and with the high armco on the sides of the bridges, I couldn't see much of anything close-up to the road, riding a sport-standard. I don't see how Cruiser guys can see anything at all, with a lower seat-height.

The snowbirds & bluehairs can be annoying obstacles, but skilled riders with a devil-may-care attitude can skirt by them. :cool: I've typically rode down during the Peterson's Poker Run (think the named changed now) and can't recall any scenery issues. Plenty palm trees, caribbean waters, bikini girls & tiki bars.

I've found that just about every decent road is littered with inexperienced riders & f-ing minivans. Especially when its rally time, i.e. Sturgis, Daytona, Milwaukee, Myrtle Beach, etc ... There should be laws against cars on our roads! :lol:

Matt7even 05-25-2011 08:03 AM

Definitely some good destinations to add to my bucket list =). Glad to see Highway 23 and the Ozarks in general have gotten their due as a major motorcycle destination in the last few years. Eureka Springs is a gem of a little town and all the new bike traffic has been a nice boom to the area.

JamieC 07-14-2011 06:50 AM

I think creating a bucket list for places to ride is a great idea! I work with Competition Accessories and we actually did a blog post recently that might help you with additional suggestions, here is a list of top 20 roads in the Southwest: Top 20 Motorcycle Roads in the Southwest | Competition Accessories The second is the top 20 in the Midwest: Top 20 Motorcycle Roads in the Midwest | Competition Accessories